StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
jwillburn119

Send a message via Yahoo to jwillburn119
Question 302 5.0 1995 mustang GTS Rebuild

i have a thread in EEC... if you want to know why i tore it down... go there... but needless to say... i tore it down...its a 5.0 out of a 1995 GTS... it started with the upper intake only... when i opened it i found a 1/32" film of carbon and oil... and it was in the lower too... so i pulled it... found 10 bent push rods... and caramelized oil all the way through the valley and heads... along with the combustion chamber...

the valve stem seals are melted into the runner... and i cant get the keepers out of the secondary hat on the intake valves... so i cant replace them...

i understand the push rods... overrev... and the caramelized oil in the valleys and top of the heads... overheating... but i dont understand why the oil is in the intake... or in the chamber... i guess it is getting from the intake into the chamber... but the walls of the cylinder are still clean...except where the rings dont go at the very top, and its not smoking at all... but it does burn a quart every 1000 mi...

mechanics say its the VALVE stem seals... but it should smoke then right? i think its the EGR... but there is no oil in the EGR... what do you say?
Old 06-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Wicked
Friends

Send a message via AIM to Wicked
Re: 302 5.0 1995 mustang GTS Rebuild

When you have blow-by, the pressure in your crankcase will blow oil into you intake at the oil filler neck tube to the throttle body. At least thats most people's problems.

Who sold this car to you? I sure hope you got a great deal.

Work Car:
2005 Honda Odyssey
400 whp Turbo V6, 6-speed, full cage, H&R Suspension, Brembo Brakes
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Remember that the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) simply reburns the exhaust gases. I do not believe that this would cause your problem, I am more incline to agree with Wicked.

As far as the repairs needed, manyh times you have to hit the valve spring seat (top) with a plastic or rubber hammer several times to free up the keepers, try that and see if you can seperate them.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
jwillburn119

Send a message via Yahoo to jwillburn119

i would agree... but i have an FIPK on it and the breather port is clean except for a few drips... the guy that sold it to me didnt take care of it... but i didnt know that till about a month after i got it... but there is nothing i can do about it... anyway... it is an GTS mustang... everything besides the engine is in great condition... and its an SVO edition...but i paid 4500 for it... so it wasnt a bad deal... but... any other ideas... or is my diagnosis wrong about the breather tube? the inside of the FIPK should be black too if thats true shouldnt it? and it is all clean...
Old 06-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
Wicked
Friends

Send a message via AIM to Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillburn119
i would agree... but i have an FIPK on it and the breather port is clean except for a few drips... the guy that sold it to me didnt take care of it... but i didnt know that till about a month after i got it... but there is nothing i can do about it... anyway... it is an GTS mustang... everything besides the engine is in great condition... and its an SVO edition...but i paid 4500 for it... so it wasnt a bad deal... but... any other ideas... or is my diagnosis wrong about the breather tube? the inside of the FIPK should be black too if thats true shouldnt it? and it is all clean...
There should be a connection from the valve cover to the TB similar to the picture attached. Obvious it will be different on a SN95 body.

Intake suction can also draw oil in through the same tube. The oil will cover everything between the throttle blade to the intake valves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dyno 4-17-04 004b.JPG (57.6 KB, 11 views)

Work Car:
2005 Honda Odyssey
400 whp Turbo V6, 6-speed, full cage, H&R Suspension, Brembo Brakes
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillburn119
anyway... it is an GTS mustang... everything besides the engine is in great condition... and its an SVO edition...but i paid 4500 for it.
Please explain the SVO edition part. or are you meaning an ex SSO car.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:38 AM   #7
95GTMan
For Rent $25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrbullit
maybe he has the SVO side exhaust.
95GTMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrbullit
$4500 for an ex-Super Street Outlaw car?

Intake Valve Stem Seals are the ones that usually will cause smoke...because they're actually under vacuum when the cylinder pulls: thus pulling oil down the intake valve. Exhaust are usually under slight pressure the reverse direction. Just a clarification.

Do like Craig said. Smack the top of valve a bit w/ a mallet. Not metal tho. It should free the keepers up.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
Disney Lincoln

oil in intake most likely due to bad PCV vlave and clogged up screen. This will combine to cause excessive blowby.

To get the keepers out, lay the head on the bench with a rag folded up under the chamber. Hold a approx. 13/16 deep well socket centered over the retainer. Smack the shit out of it several times til the retainer comes off.
Disney Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote