StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

If newer technology is what you wish.

then build a big inch 5.4 4v motor with as much good stuff as you can put into it and a pair of 88-96 mm turbos.

I know you want the new technology but i have more than a handful of cars with big block turbo setups that get driven on the street regularly.

Look at the latest hot rod mag with the coverage from Drag Week....A Camaro with an Old school BBC and a blow thru supercharger.....drove a 1,000 miles and ran mid 7's all day long on et streets.

it may be old technology....but it still works

A 550 inch BBF with twin 88-91mm Turbos and a turbo 400 trans would produce somewhere in the 2000hp range and give you the numbers you are expecting

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
Yknot

I can see your point with the traditional Big Block, but my problem with that route is it's been done a million times and is frankly, Low technology at this point.
I am interested in the car running several classes, including the new Roush Modular Muscle class. Some do require the street run portion, while other do not. I suspect once the car was started I would have to hone in on just 2-3 event classes I would compete in.
I am very seriously considering the 5.4-4V approach, while I love 4.6L's I think the added cubic inches would definitely help. I also Like what Shawn Hy-Land Motorsports has been able to do with Mod motors. He worked with World products to put together there new Aluminum Mod Block, which is suppose to be one bad piece.
The down side to Modular engines, is they get no respect at the drag way or in any of the publications. I read National Dragster every week, and there is never a piece on Mod motors or any parts for sale through all the many race parts carriers. This is sad, and I'm not to sure it will ever change, especially if (and when) Ford drops the modular engine in place of there new engine they have been working on for the last couple of years. I think they said the 2009 year would be the end of the modular engine program. If this happens, it would be a disaster to invest in a modular platform? It quit a shame, we are just now starting to see some interest by the top engine parts builders.
Transmission would diffenitly have to be a Liberty, lenco or Jeffco. And I still think the way to go with huge HP cars is the Torque converter set-up by several suppliers. You get the quick reaction, and consist antsy of a automatic with the strength and reliability of a manual.
Money....I think I was very close if not a little light on my original estimate of what it would cost to build this car. Money goes very fast with high end parts, the transmission alone would be $8500.00, for a 3-speed lenco W/reverse and a torque converter set-up. A competitive rear end complete with gears and axles would run $6500.00. The engine alone would be 15-20 thousand, induction system, $8500.00. That put's us at $43,500.00 right there! Yes I might save some, but these are very close figures. I'm not sure if you have seen Project COBRA'33 or Project Flathead, which are two separate projects I have going on now, but the cost to date for Project COBRA'33 is just shy of $115,000.00 and I am a long way from finished, which I figure will be another 25-35K. Project Flathead is a fun little project I started last year, and although I haven't done anything with it lately, I still have over $6,700.00 in that one.
The good part is I do already have the big trailer and truck to transport the thing in, and yes they are paid for. We also have all the support equipment needed to run the operation, so that also helps. It's amazing just how much it cost to physically visit the tracks, that is one expense many over look, and it really adds up to a major amount.
I have been in contact with several engine builders and different engine parts manufacturers, so I am starting to get a clearer picture of just what I need and should be using. Of-coarse they all say there product is the best, but bull shit only goes so are, the many quality makers like Aris, Eagle, Scatt, Manley, JE, World and AFR all seem to sell less and inform more. Thanks for the interest you have show, and I will continue to watch for insiteful post .
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
jfor441

Al Papito aka Boss 330 would be the person to talk to regarding a big inch 5.4 Modular Motor. You can look for him on Corral.net.
jfor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #14
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

Please contact Eric Dillard at Pro Line Race Engines 770-516-0745

They build anything you want and he can do your whole 5.4 motor in house.He has alot of experience with mod motors and his personal mod motor car is a 4v 4.6 that makes over 1000rwhp

They build all of my motors.

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
EZ SPEED
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkjuicedpony View Post

Look at the latest hot rod mag with the coverage from Drag Week....A Camaro with an Old school BBC and a blow thru supercharger.....drove a 1,000 miles and ran mid 7's all day long on et streets.
I read that......That car Freaking Rules !!!
EZ SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
coupe
Super Moderator

QWK's right. The C4 will not last. It works in Renegade, but those cars do not make torque like twin turbos will have. And they rebuild them all the time. Get a glide or a TH400. Turbos like the converter...will be easier to do what you want on the track.

I always say the only thing better than a turbocharged engine is a BIG turbocharged engine. If you must go mod-motor, use the 5.4 and go with the 4V heads. They're awesome and flow like gangbusters out of the box.

What you want to do is not that tall of an order. I would strongly suggest looking on www.nmraracing.com under the classified forums. There are always real-nice partially finished cars that would save you alot of time and money. That gets the headache out of the way for chassis certification and all the time and fab work invoved. If you simply must build it from scratch, there are several shops who do good work. I will throw www.teamzmotorsports.net in the mix. Dave Z. is awesome and does great work.

If you want to keep it simple, I have a couple good recipies for you. We did a single 88mm turbo on a 347 motor (built to the tits) in a stock-style suspension fox. Car is pretty sneaky and goes 5.30's and .40's quite nicely. Big Stuff 3 is on it and I highly recommend it.

You mentioned DFI (Accel) and it works, but there are fewer good tuners of that system...Dan Millen and Job Spetter are the ones I can think of. FAST has a tuner at just about every dyno. I have a FAST and can help out if you get one. It's a good system too. If you want the best, and can spend the money (not needed with what you're doing), then the MOTEC is nice. $$Real nice$$.

There you have it

Last edited by coupe; 01-21-2008 at 08:12 PM.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
jfor441

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkjuicedpony View Post
Please contact Eric Dillard at Pro Line Race Engines 770-516-0745

They build anything you want and he can do your whole 5.4 motor in house.He has alot of experience with mod motors and his personal mod motor car is a 4v 4.6 that makes over 1000rwhp

They build all of my motors.

Aren't they the ones that build MPH's motors?
jfor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
Yknot

It's amazing what a little research will do, to clear up your questions.!.!
While I certainly don't have the whole engine figured out, by any means, I do have a basic ideal now of just want it is that I want, and need. Thanks for all the many post, and excellent advice given on this forum.....thanks.
I did figure out that if I stay with my compounded turbo's or combination Supercharger/Turbo's, I am very limited to only three (3) classes in the NMRA, that being Open Comp, True Street and Modular Muscle. The combination of multiple power adders is really limiting. If I was to loose two power adders then I would be eligible for several more classes, but in my mind the fun would not be worth it, so three (3) classes seems enough for now.
I also contacted several top Ford Modular engine builders and of the ones I spoke to I must admit I was the most impressed with SHM or Shan Hyland Motorsports. It probably didn't help that I had already read his book and watched his new DVD, but still I think he is the most knowledgeable and he has plenty of customers and records to back what he does up.
I think my best coarse of action would be to start with the new World aluminum 5.4 race block that both World and Shan designed together, just for applications like mine. The block features many improvements over the best of all the previous blocks, and does a great job of bringing the Modular platform up to par with the current crop of race blocks, be it Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac or even other Ford platforms. It's not cheap at $4,00.00, but then again if you would take a stock aluminum block and machine it as needed you would spend a lot of money and still not have the strength. I also think there is no substitute for cubic inches, so we can take this new block and punch it out to over 6.0L's of mean race engine, which will suit my needs greatly. I also plan to run the 4V heads, and with this new bore, they can really un-shroud the valves and install larger valves then ever thought possible, increasing flow by over 40% of the best heads in the past! That’s exactly what a blown engine needs, displacement and flow.
The bottom end has many possibilities, but I will determine that also latter. I do want to explore the possibilities of using Total seal rings on the top and maybe the second ring groove as well. I have used them in the past with excellent results. I would also like to run a Dry-Sump oiling system. While there is still much to learn and figure out, I feel good about the basic lay-out and design of the engine. I do need to be able to perform my own maintenance and even rebuilds so I see I have a whole list of special 4V tools to gather-up, I have the rest of the basics like compression testers, leak-down gauges and so on. From what I gathered, Snap-on or Mac both have a great selection of Ford Mod Motor specialty engine building parts? Anyone care to differ???
I feel so much better knowing I can get 6L of modular engine, that helps level an otherwise un-fair playing field. Hopefully it will all work-out, and I’ll definitely keep you posted. Thanks to all the posted.
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #19
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

6L dohc would be sweet!
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #20
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

it sound like you already know what you want and are just looking for fan approval

in my opioin i think its wicked awsome build the shit out of it make it stand out a run the shit out of it

much approval here
tayzoid1 is offline   Reply With Quote