StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Ponygirl
Pink Ladies

Calling all auto mechanics, etc.!!!!

As you all know, my Focus is FUBAR....after the assessment today, I'll be surprised if they don't total it out. Anyway, here is my problem:

2001 SVT Cobra with approximately 35,000 miles. Suspension mods and tri ax shifter, 3:73 gears, no other modifications. The car was hit HARD in the rear in March 2005 (ya'll know that too). In October on my way back from the beach, the car started cutting out when accelerating in any gear and when it got hot. Almost like the fuel filter was getting stopped up. Nothing was done until a few months later when it got worse and would go dead. The fuel filter was replaced and it ran good for a few days and then back to cutting out and going dead when it got hot. Another month or so went by and the air filter and plugs were replaced. It ran good for another day or so. Last Friday once it got hot, it cut out, it died and I could not get it started it was spitting and sputtering. You could smell the egg smell of the catalytic converter and after it died you could smell almost an electrical burning smell. After it cooled off, it cranked and I barely got it home. Lee swapped out the cats with another pipe and cleaned the Mass air and it ran ok today until it got hot and it cut out on acceleration and eventually died in the middle of the road. When I pulled in the carport after stunt driving the damn thing, I smelled the electrical smell again. Note: the car is not running hot and all gauges are normal and no check engine light. I need help. I've got to have a car to drive to work and I can't figure out what is wrong with the Cobra. I know this is long but any help you guys could offer would be most appreciated. I have until 7:30am tomorrow to get this thing running.
Ponygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Ponygirl
Pink Ladies

Re: Calling all auto mechanics, etc.!!!!

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

Kinked fuel line after the accident? Overheating the pump, fuel-pump wiring getting hot, and vapor-lock in the lines ?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Electrical smell, where? Inside the car or outside? Front or back of the car?

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
Ponygirl
Pink Ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero
Electrical smell, where? Inside the car or outside? Front or back of the car?
It happens right when the car dies. I smelled it inside when the window was down but outside around the left fender. It quickly dissipates after the car is shut off. There are no wires or anything burnt and no smoke or anything like that.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Ponygirl
Pink Ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
Kinked fuel line after the accident? Overheating the pump, fuel-pump wiring getting hot, and vapor-lock in the lines ?
Would something like that not throw a code for the check engine light. It does seem like the car is either not getting fuel or it is getting water or trash in the fuel.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
94five0
S-6 Mafia

Location: above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.

have you checked the inertia switch on the FP? car was hit in the rear, was the fp replaced?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94five0
have you checked the inertia switch on the FP? car was hit in the rear, was the fp replaced?
I am not aware if the fuel pump was replaced then.

Even though it is not throwing a code for the fuel rail sensor or fuel pump, it has got to be the problem. Probably going to go ahead and throw a focus pump in it this weekend (if I can find one)
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
04 Mach1
Bet I red light B4U

Send a message via AIM to 04 Mach1

Sorry I meant to check the TSB on it but ended up getting busy nd forgetting I'll check first thing in the morning and call if any fit your problem.
04 Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Lee,

The fuel pump relay is supposed to be located in "underhood distribution panel" on the drivers side. (Look for a black box attached just forward of the drivers side shock tower. It has the postive battery cable running into it) The electrical smell could be coming from a overheating relay, of which could be caused by a locked up or failing fuel pump.

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote