StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > 2.3 Tech
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
sailorbob

There's some more things that require altering for a 4 cylinder conversion;

Engine_Displacement (aka SARCHG) perhaps I'm stating the obvious with this one.
Ignition_Degrees_Per_PIP (aka DEGPIP) - set to 180 degrees
PIPs_per_Rev (aka ENGCYL) - set to 2
Signature_PIP_Multiplier_Highest_Value (aka SIGKLU) - set to suit 30% dutycycle
Signature_PIP_Multiplier_Lowest_Value (aka SIGKLL) - set to suit 30% dutycycle

The following may also need altering to ensure the pulsewidth conversion factor still works;

Number_of_Injector_Output_Ports (aka NUMOUT)
Number_of_Pips_Between_Injector_Outputs (aka PIPOUT)
sailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
MikeSVO

That's great to know, Bob! I haven't gotten my hands on the A9L yet, so we haven't actually begun tearing into it. Still working with the LA3, but it looks like the blowthrough MAF setup may have it's days numbered.

I'll let you know how it goes.
MikeSVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
coupe
Super Moderator

You guys are talking about doing an A9L (with MAF) on an SVO...

but what about trying this approach with a Speed Density system instead?? Just run a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor and tune from there. I would buy a chip and rewire an SVO anyday for this simple solution. Plus, those computers are dirt cheap.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post

but what about trying this approach with a Speed Density system instead?? Just run a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor and tune from there. I would buy a chip and rewire an SVO anyday for this simple solution. Plus, those computers are dirt cheap.

Because SD is a lot more of a pain in the ass to tune.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #15
MikeSVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post

I haven't heard of anyone doing that, and it seems too simple of a solution to work. But I think we're going to have a run at that, too, just for the heck of it. The GM 3 bar map sensor seems to fit perfectly into the range we want. Weather or not it will work, I have no idea. I can think of reasons why it would work, and reasons why it won't. I mean, all the MAF sensor does is give the computer a voltage, and the MAP sensor will do the same. But since they're reporting the voltage as functions of different parameters, I'm not sure if it's going to do what we want.

People may have done wired one in and not made any other changes only to see that it didn't work. Well, we'll stick the data logger and wideband on it and see if we can make a transfer curve that will allow it to work.

I think that's not next up though. I think we're going to try some funky sampling tube ideas we have.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #16
coupe
Super Moderator

Agreed. My point is, the FAST, BigStuff3, SpeedPro, etc...all run a MAP sensor and Sequential on their best setups. Why not use a MAP-sensor-based Sequential capable computer on the SVO? It would be perfect for a boosted application. Perfect.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #17
coupe
Super Moderator

And a guy I know (And Kerry knows him) runs the Holley Commander 900 on his SVO. It's speed density and batch-fire! He makes big power and loves it.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #18
SvoBrown

I still want to look at the holley but the bs3 is on my list of wants.
Would like to be more help on this but I can only read and guess on it.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #19
MikeSVO

I have to look into it more. Since I'm not shopping around, I don't know what they all have to offer, really.

I think the main thing is that I can't think of a good reason to switch. I mean, the stock stuff works, but it's never been developed for this application so we're sort of making up some stuff as we go along. Some of it is way out there, and we don't even talk about some of it because A) we're tired of hearing that the stuff won't work, and B) we're so far off the beaten path that the info really won't help anyone else (when I say we, I mean myself and my friend Jon. We work on the car at his shop, and while it's my car by ownership, it's definately a joint effort).

Warning -tangent ahead!-

But I can't see how any other setup is better than the factory stuff. Yes, you have to tweak it to fit the application, but to me that's just part of what goes along with 'building' a car. When most people run into problems, they switch directions. They don't solve them, they just go around them. "What? The MAF sensor pegged? Well, get it recalibrated." -or- "Buy a new one." -or- "Get a standalone." Instead, we ask, "What happens when it pegs? Why did it peg? How can we keep it from pegging?"...etc. We begin to measure the different parameters that make the setup act and react the way it does. What you end up finding out is that these BIG problems aren't that big at all.

The factory computers have had tons and tons of Ford's time and money put into their development. There's a lot of stuff worth keeping in there, and yet people will scrap the WHOLE THING because ONE parameter (albeit probably the MOST vital one) gets maxed out - airflow. But have you ever wondered what actually is going on when an airflow sensor maxes out in an EEC system? Basically, the sensor goes above ~5 volts. That's it.

We just thought it would be easier to get the sensor to operate within the right range than to rip out all the factory stuff, spend a bunch of money on something new and THEN have to start from scratch with the tuning.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #20
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVO View Post
I. But have you ever wondered what actually is going on when an airflow sensor maxes out in an EEC system? Basically, the sensor goes above ~5 volts. That's it.

which causes you to go lean.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote