StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #21
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1
it sound like you already know what you want and are just looking for fan approval
LOL.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 AM   #22
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Only thing I am not fan of is SHM. Never been impressed with any of their cars.
I am in line with qkjuiced. Pro-line gets my vote
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #23
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

I met Sean Hyland in person.He is not as knowledge filled as he seems.

I put all of my faith in pro line race engines as said before.....after all with their help i just found another 50rwhp in my car

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #24
Yknot

OK, so some like SHM and some don't, Why? ...Sounds more personal to me, then fact based???? But I really don't care, everyone has there own personal picks and that's cool.
My next question is about heads...and I need everyone to be open minded.
I originally assumed I would just run a 4V head like my other motor, but the more I read about the 3V head the more I wonder if that is the way to go?
I know it's still early, although the 3V head has been out since 2004, many racers and cylinder head guys haven't gotten around to working with or on this head. I have read some articles where some cylinder head guys have begun porting these heads and swear by them. But, is that just hype? someone trying to sell there product to a new market, or are these new 3V heads the way to go.
Most articles agree the 3V head does not flow the big numbers of the 4V head, but they all state that because of the new spark plug location and the unique exhaust valve location, the heads do a much better job of maintaining air velocity, and pack the cylinders better. Would this only be beneficial on a NA engine? I would think on a super charged engine, velocity is not that important, because you have the blower pushing the air at all times? right or wrong??
I would like some real feedback on this subject, I have contacted several nationally known engine builders and cylinder head guys, some like others have suggested, and most think your trying to seal there combination if you ask questions, other say send me your heads and I'll see how they do. I don't think this is an acceptable way to answer my question, let me port your 3V heads and 4V heads and I'll flow them against one another and then we will see. I don't know anyone that would like that response, would you? You should be able to ask an expert in there field, what would work and what wouldn't. Not really asking for any trade secrets, just an opinion.
What do you guys think.....??? 4V or 3V??? and if I go the 3V way, would it be beneficial to also install the VVT components and use that to help with the engine timing?? I know this is an new area for the modular engines, but it has been 3 years since they , the 3V, came out, and you would think someone has some answers. Thanks for the help
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #25
coupe
Super Moderator

Some of these guys make a living with their knowledge and expertise. It's not uncommon for them to be less than willing to spill their guts about power-combos.

The 4-valve is a better head for power.

Sean Hyland is a great engine builder. So are about a thousand other shops around. SHM specializes in the Ford 4.6L.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #26
mrmustangconvert

03 cobra, kb or turbo + built live axle = at leat mid tens. or if you can't afford an 03 cobra just buy the motor, trans, and wiring harness
13.068 @ 102 with a 1.732 60 ft, 4:30 gears and drag radials, 2.5 inch exaust, x pipe w/ flowmasters, stock motor and trans
mrmustangconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #27
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustangconvert View Post
03 cobra, kb or turbo + built live axle = at leat mid tens. or if you can't afford an 03 cobra just buy the motor, trans, and wiring harness
Read the thread.
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #28
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
OK, so some like SHM and some don't, Why? ...Sounds more personal to me, then fact based????
Nothing personal. I have never seen a product of his do the stuff you want to do.
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 01-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
Yknot

I think it's only natural that people (racers) tend to gravitate toward the local or at least locally known engine builders or speed shops. They see the product in use and of-coarse they spend there money on those parts from the dealer. Know one wants to think they bought inferior pieces, or that there parts are not up to the National Standard. So, I under-stand the answers I get from some people.

It's not that the engine builders are trying to keep industrial secrets, I would not ask any questions about specifics, concerning the various combinations of engine building, it's just a lack of 1. Experienced personnel answering the phones, 2. Willingness to believe there are people that honestly want there services to build non-mainstream engine combinations that are also un-charted territory with regards to horse-power and design. I finally found one Engine Builder/Cylinder Head Builder, today that actually talked for some time and at length about what I want to do and how it's not been accomplished many times before. The 3V head is just at it's infancy, and weather it proves to be the new "Next best thing" or not, will remain to be seen. The fact is, that to do what I want to do, I would, in a very real sense have to do my own R&D work. Something I am not willing or able to do at this time. If I was paired-up with a speed shop or other major sponsor, maybe, but right now NO. I ordered two sets of 4V heads today, and for now this will be my path, again this is my next project after the two current ones are finished, so I have plenty of time. In the mean time, I'll tinker around and work on a few things, like these heads, and maybe a block or so. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to seriously start this project, someone else will have thought about the many items and combinations I have thrown around, and just maybe the answer about the 3V heads will have been discovered? I hope so, I think It's got great potential, and so does a few others in the field. Right now I have to fide a way to twin turbo and EFI my original Ford V-8, a Flathead of-coarse, which is one of my current projects. I, just can't seem to shake this longing to run my combination .........Maybe these new heads will help ?.?.? I sure hope so
Yknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #30
mrmustangconvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
Read the thread.
i did, just a simple awnser
13.068 @ 102 with a 1.732 60 ft, 4:30 gears and drag radials, 2.5 inch exaust, x pipe w/ flowmasters, stock motor and trans
mrmustangconvert is offline   Reply With Quote