StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > 2.3 Tech

Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
coreydaniel

newb to tuning with ?????

hey guys. Ive been fooling with 2.3 turbos for a few years. I have a 88 ranger with all the stock computer and vam. BIg vam, injectors, t3 pushing 20psi, front mount, and custom intake with 5.0 75mm throttle body. Runs great. But im interested in converting it to MAF. I have the general idea of how to do it. I know i have to get a tuner and change some of the bin. files to diff values. But im not sure what tuner is the best. Moates.net stuff seems to be the cheapest way to go. But the tweecer RT also seems good because it alows you to datalog which is a big part of tuning, but it is also $550. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
coreydaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

SvoBrown did the MAF swap on his svo.

Which EEC are you running? Stock Ranger? I have used the Tweecer on a 5.0 but not the 2.3. With that being said, I loved the Tweecer for tuning
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
RedSuperRanger23
Gizmo

I'm planning on using my stock PCM and using the old style diablo chips to tune with.
04 Crown Vic
RedSuperRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
SvoBrown

It was easy to install. Just a few wires to change over and then it was time to tune.

http://www.svoca.com/forum/archive/i...hp/t-9913.html

I did the moates things. It took a lot of time and a few bucks to get it right. You must have a data logger with wide band and be able to log rpm, tps, boost, maf voltage. Mine has been setup for almost 3 years now and runs great. Took a lot of leg work and finding the right person to do the tune for me. Guy at Motion Dynamics in Texas did it for me. I think?? I sent a datalog sheet to him with the chip,
With all that said, If I had to do it again I would be a Stand alone and run it off of that. Save up some more money and do it right.If your ever in Oxford we can get together and compare Some stuff. I still have some of my moates stuff if you decide that is the best route.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
coreydaniel

im using the LA2 pcm. SVObrown, thanks for the input. I know it takes a data logger. Thats why i thought the tweecer rt would be best. From what ive read it logs everything you said i need to log and its user friendly. I have thought of the stand alone with megasquirt but dont know anyine who has done it. Ive heard that that is more race oriented than for street driving, but i dont know that for certain.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
SvoBrown

Friend in Tenn. has the holly 950. Had one tune for the track with about 350 hp and another tune for the street. That way his kids could drive it to school. You can just do so much more with good stuff. I still look at the Big Stuff 3. I want it.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
coreydaniel

Yeah that stuff is sooo expensive though. I might go that way when i get more comfortable with the tuning side of things. Im making good power now,
around 230hp to the wheels. I just know in my head that the VAM is such a restiction. And i think it is at its limit. Plus i can upgrade to 42 pound injectors too.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
SvoBrown

running 55# injectors in mine. Look into running a map sensor also. Megasquirt can set up up on that. That to me is the best way to go. Then it is a air filter on the turbo!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
coreydaniel

yeah i was thinking of trying that too. Ive heard that the 3.0v is the best. But then i would still have to buy a data logger and stuff. Oh decisions decisions,lol. How do the 55's work for you? Have you ever dyno tested yours.
Im going to be using a Holset on this next setup and a custom intake too. So in theiry ill be able to move quite a bit more air through the engine.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
SvoBrown

Where are you located at. I might be able to set you up on a few things.