StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditmwp View Post
Yours wasn't exactly smog free at FFW after the 306 build...
yep and I will NEVER use Cometic head gaskets on AFR heads again

But it wasn't near as bad as Kerry's SVO. You could not see his car by the time he drove to my trailer
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
If it is smoking just on initital startup, then there has to be oil leaking down into that cylinder while car sitting.

Yeah Richard, Kerry's car was pretty bad. It was blowing coolant smoke everywhere
The car doesn't smoke at all while at idle, but when you rev it up it smokes like im doing a pro mod burn out.
BLOWN95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
I had a warped head and bad turbo on my first SVO... smoked like the space-shuttle on launch so I too feel your pain. Hard to believe a ring could have broken. Check the turbo turbine housing for "wetness" from oil...just to eliminate that being a source.
My head wasn't warped I had them checked before I put them on the motor I also had a brand new trick flow valve spring upgrade kit put on with new retainers, stem seats, and springs. The turbine housing is fine no oil leaking at all.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93cobra1928 View Post
Do a leakdown test on #4 you may have a bad seal or guide
I don't have a leak down tester. And the parts store doesn't have one that I can rent.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN95GT View Post
The car doesn't smoke at all while at idle, but when you rev it up it smokes like im doing a pro mod burn out.
what size is the oil drain line and coupling in the oil pan? Are you seeing any blow-by type smoke in the engine bay?

If the smoke is going away during driving, seems like to me it couldn't be a oil ring. Have you double checked your valve adjustment on that cylinder?
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Ok, I've got a couple of questions. When you put the new seals on, did you use the little plastic sleeve deal over the tip of the valve to keep from nicking the seal? And what kind of valve stem seals are you running?
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
what size is the oil drain line and coupling in the oil pan? Are you seeing any blow-by type smoke in the engine bay?

If the smoke is going away during driving, seems like to me it couldn't be a oil ring. Have you double checked your valve adjustment on that cylinder?
Oil drain feed line is -4 and oil drain line is -10, no smoke in the engine bay, yes I have checked the valve adjustment a couple of times it is fine.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHardy1971 View Post
Ok, I've got a couple of questions. When you put the new seals on, did you use the little plastic sleeve deal over the tip of the valve to keep from nicking the seal? And what kind of valve stem seals are you running?
The seals that I pulled off the heads were the brand new seals that came in the trickflow kit i think they were the viton seals, the new seals I put on were teflon from birmingham piston, and what plastic sleeve deal are you talking about?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN95GT View Post
The seals that I pulled off the heads were the brand new seals that came in the trickflow kit i think they were the viton seals, the new seals I put on were teflon from birmingham piston, and what plastic sleeve deal are you talking about?
I've never had good luck with the teflon seals, the viton ones are the way to go. The sleeve I was referring to slides over the tip of the valve (it's open on one end only) and covers the valve lock grooves, and keeps the seal from getting cut/nicked on the edges of the grooves. It only takes a small slice on a seal to create a leak. If you don't have that sleeve, you can use some scotch tape. I know the Fel-Pro seal kits come with the sleeve. Also be sure to put some oil on the contact area of the seal where it slides on the valve stem before you put it on.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHardy1971 View Post
I've never had good luck with the teflon seals, the viton ones are the way to go. The sleeve I was referring to slides over the tip of the valve (it's open on one end only) and covers the valve lock grooves, and keeps the seal from getting cut/nicked on the edges of the grooves. It only takes a small slice on a seal to create a leak. If you don't have that sleeve, you can use some scotch tape. I know the Fel-Pro seal kits come with the sleeve. Also be sure to put some oil on the contact area of the seal where it slides on the valve stem before you put it on.
I didn't have the sleeve you are talking about but I did very carefully push the seals on by hand until I got them to the bottom of the stem. I pulled the intake back off and I'm going to have it hauled back to my shop in pell city some time soon when it's not storming so I can put it on the lift and pull the motor.