StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #191
nxcoupe

I would like to help out, without giving away what's taken me 4 or 5 years to get figured out. I would say since mine is a 4.040 bore, and I am right around the .020 mark with a 225 shot of spray, and my piston to wall clearance is tighter than most would think, that he could tighten things up a bit and be safe. My hp is another one of those things, but I will say it makes over 750 ft lbs of torque and over 550 hp. Not trying to be coy, just worked hard getting this combo right. You've known me for a long time and it's not been easy street for me. Most of what the piston ring manufacturers, piston manuf, nitrous manuf, and general 'experts' all told me, steered me in the wrong direction. I had to just throw out everything I 'knew' and start from scratch with a lot of what ifs and maybes. then work my ass off affording to try this stuff and fix it when it didnt work, and make sure it was noted when I figured something worked. Hope all this helps out.

Last edited by nxcoupe; 07-09-2010 at 10:42 AM.
nxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #192
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

My ring package is not that far down in the hole and since I have not used the new Ackerly & Childs ring packages I am going to follow their recommended ring gaps they gave me for a 4.125" bore and the amount of boost that I will be running. I consulted three different engine guru's and they couldn't give me a definate answer on these newer rings. So they are what they are...

Now for a few pictures. The short block is together...and LeeH did not sleep in this morning...

Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #193
coupe
Super Moderator

You gonna paint it, right?

The ring gap will probably not make one bit of difference give or take...as long as they're not too close, you're good!
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #194
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
You gonna paint it, right?

The ring gap will probably not make one bit of difference give or take...as long as they're not too close, you're good!
Yes sir we are going to paint it. I had LeeH down on his knees digging on the bottom shelf at the parts house looking for one more can of paint that was close to the teal color of the car...

As far as the ring gap goes I could probably closed them up some but I did not want to take a chance on them butting up under full boost & the heat. And since Ray at Ackerly & Childs insisted on the gaps he specified I figured it would be best to follow his recommendation.

There is one thing that I would like to comment on though. It is the convenient slots that Dart cut into the caps. It sure makes it a breeze removing the caps from the block. See picture below.

Last edited by Dale McPeters; 07-09-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Dale McPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #195
nxcoupe

Hey, it's your engine and you are ultimately the one that has to fix, pay for, repair whatever happens to it, just thought you were asking for information so I offered it up. just trying to help out.

Last edited by nxcoupe; 07-10-2010 at 03:13 AM.
nxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #196
Wickd GT
Friends

Why are you so afraid of the ring gap? You want to know what is my ring gap? These are Total Seal brand, can't go wrong with these rings. .043/.043/ 3/16 ring package, top is what they call it TNT for the nitrous. Here is my ring gap, .032 top .034 bottom. You want the bottom ring bigger so any extra fuel will not be hanging around top and second ring. If you planning to put some good boost to this combo I hope the second ring is not smaller than that .031. A couple of good detonation and they will butt and them rings will be done. I don't use the Childs & Albeit rings, did not last 4 passes on a 225 shot. Best ring out there that I have found is the total seal, great people to deal with too.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #197
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxcoupe View Post
Hey, it's your engine and you are ultimately the one that has to fix, pay for, repair whatever happens to it, just thought you were asking for information so I offered it up. just trying to help out.
Thanks Michael I always store information for further use. And I appreciate it but you are right I am the one that has to eventually pay if it breaks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
Why are you so afraid of the ring gap? You want to know what is my ring gap? These are Total Seal brand, can't go wrong with these rings. .043/.043/ 3/16 ring package, top is what they call it TNT for the nitrous. Here is my ring gap, .032 top .034 bottom. You want the bottom ring bigger so any extra fuel will not be hanging around top and second ring. If you planning to put some good boost to this combo I hope the second ring is not smaller than that .031. A couple of good detonation and they will butt and them rings will be done. I don't use the Childs & Albeit rings, did not last 4 passes on a 225 shot. Best ring out there that I have found is the total seal, great people to deal with too.

Edgar
Edgar, I am not afraid of the ring gap that they recommended. It is just that I asked about three different engine "guru's" two of which are some what local to me and I got three different answers on ring gap setup for these rings. And since the rings are not from the original Childs & Albert company (as they went under a few years ago and are now Ackerly & Childs) I did not know if the rings acted the same way. So that is why I had Ray at Ackerly & Childs on the phone twice confirming the ring gaps for this engine. And no I do not want the rings to butt up as that would be a bad thing....
And thanks for the info on the total seal rings.

Last edited by Dale McPeters; 07-10-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Dale McPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #198
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

I would also like to openly thank LeeH for all the help in getting the short block together....he has better eye sight than I do and caught some things like really small burrs and things that my old eyes could not see any more...
Old 07-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #199
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McPeters View Post
I would also like to openly thank LeeH for all the help in getting the short block together....he has better eye sight than I do and caught some things like really small burrs and things that my old eyes could not see any more...
No, Thank you Dale for getting me out of the house! I had fun helping you and the break from all the issues I've been going through was a nice change of pace.
90GT
93GT
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #200
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
No, Thank you Dale for getting me out of the house! I had fun helping you and the break from all the issues I've been going through was a nice change of pace.
No No that you....I have a brand new set of reading glasses so now maybe I can see things up close and personal...

So are you ready to work some more this coming weekend starting on 7/16/10?

And don't forget we still have to tear down that other Tremec and fix the idler plug leak too....