StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
coupe
Super Moderator

Head Gaskets installed backward will cause it. But I wouldn't think you'd install them backwards. Maybe that was a step Cheo performed and he did not know?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Head Gaskets installed backward will cause it. But I wouldn't think you'd install them backwards. Maybe that was a step Cheo performed and he did not know?

I was going to mention the head gasket install too, but I didn't want to get my ass kicked by an insulted Puerto Rican thinking I was being a smart a$$

2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Do you have a "burp hole/valve" in the T-stat?
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Wickd GT
Friends

Well, I found that piston #2 was not firing or maybe once in a while. So I did a compression test, all 8 holes have 170psi. I pressurized the cooling system and then took all spark plugs out and spin the engine to see if coolant shoot out, NOTHING! So I left the cooling system pressurized for 2hrs to see if it will drop, well only 2 lbs, from 16 to 14psi. Got under the car and saw at the bottom of the water pump, were the 2 bolts holding the backing plate, were leaking, so I put the pressure back at 16 psi and that is when I heard this bubble noise, and found it at the meta pipe that goes from the intake to the heater core, the one that has the heat sensor for the computer, it is leaking between the nut that goes in the intake and the upper part of that tube, I guess it has a seal or something because that swivels there. I think that the MSD distributor has issues, so I'm going to put the stock one and see if the # 2 fires, I will put a new spark plug there. My question is this, if the water pump at the bottom is leaking, when the motor is on, and it sucks the coolant into the motor, will it suck air too, and making it push air into the catch can? By the way the motor does not get hot at all. So I will put a new water pump, that metal rail, I have an extra one, and hope this fix it.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #15
Wickd GT
Friends

I found the problem, I had to take the heads off and take them to the Machine shop to check them, we found out that both heads needed to be milled, .008", they were warped, the seal were bad, they were leaking oil, the guide plates, someone did a good job on those, because they were grind really bad and I almost drop a valve because the rocker almost came off, due to the play in those guide plates, so had to buy a new set. Pro line did this work? I'm telling you, that was a shitty job if I have seen one. I spent 223.00 on these heads today to get them fixed, oh, by the way, there was no way these rockers could run the way the valves were set up, someone did not put valve lash caps on them to get them away from the retainers, the rockers were hitting the retainers. Looks like these heads were run real hot, that is what the machine shop told me, and this is one of the best here, Johny Pilcher. So, motor is almost back together, hopefully we can fire it up today. Those Isky adjustable guide plates are cool, but time consuming, making sure that the rocker is right on top of the valve.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #16
coupe
Super Moderator

Damn. Talk about a worst-case-scenario! If only it had just been a gasket or thermostat.