StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #31
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

Re: To carb or not to carb ...

Things a Carb cannot tune for automatically:

Weather
Driving Habits
Weather
Part Throttle Drivability
Weather
Load-based Spark Delivery
Weather
Spark Knock
Weather
Different Octane Fuels
Weather
WOT Fuel Delivery
and finally... Weather

Things an EFI system cannot automatically tune for:

The Apocalypse
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #32
1Quik85GT

I have a box stock Holley carb, seems to do find with my mid 10sec car. I tried a BG on my car and it actually slowed it down. It all boils down to what you want to do and your mechanical skills with carbs or EFI. I was raised up on working on carbs, so its fairly easy to me, and the last couple of years I have built some EFI engines.
1Quik85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #33
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Quik85GT
I have a box stock Holley carb, seems to do find with my mid 10sec car. I tried a BG on my car and it actually slowed it down. It all boils down to what you want to do and your mechanical skills with carbs or EFI. I was raised up on working on carbs, so its fairly easy to me, and the last couple of years I have built some EFI engines.
thats a good point, for me too, i was always working with carbs when i was younger, i really missed out on the computer era by just a few years.

what are you use to working on, or do you want a new challenge?
if you have never worked on either, i would try the efi, as there are plenty of people here that can help you
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:02 AM   #34
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig K.
thats a good point, for me too, i was always working with carbs when i was younger,
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #35
1sicklx
BamaMafia 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig K.
what are you use to working on, or do you want a new challenge?
if you have never worked on either, i would try the efi, as there are plenty of people here that can help you
I have always worked on EFI, but I'm not shy of learning something new. Still kicking ideas around ..
1sicklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #36
LeeH

I like both, I have both and can somewhat tune both. I grew up with carbs and played with multiple carburated engines on the street for several years, I grew up playing with Clevelands and FEs. I had a 428CJ that bore a 6V aka 3X2 or 3 dueces for you older fellas, The intake and carbs came from a 62 406 Galaxy. I also played with some 427MR 2X4 and a 427HR 2X4 along with a few Weber/Delorto carbed small blocks. The carbed engines are only as tunable as you are knowledgable, We used to drill out the metering wells and drill/plug & redrill the air bleeds. A carb is a precision fuel/air metering device that works off of pressure differential above and below the throttle plates, I dont know of an easier or more simplified system. Once you get one tuned it is very reliable as long as you keep the incomming fuel and air clean, Dirt is a carbs worst enemy followed very closely by unregulated fuel pressure and a poor tuner. My line of thinking is anything that uses metering rods is a poor excuse for a carb therefore you know straight up I am a Holley guy. EFI is fun but is able to mask problems that a carb wont allow, EFI is also easier to set up for either a blower or turbo. A carb though can be just as easy to tune in a blow through application, There are some things that must be done but none are very labor intensive or require alot of brain power. The fuel pressure must stay at least 5-7 PSI above boost to avoid running the bowls dry, With a mechanical pump or a good fuel press. reg. its very easy to do. All pumps and regulators have atmospheric vent holes on the back side of the diaphrams, Install a fitting and plumb into a vacuum port on the intake then plug any extra vents in the pump or regulator. Being that a pressure differential is all that provides the scavenging of fuel from the bowls when you have boost the process does not change and the fuel delivery stays the same as if it was naturally aspirated.
90GT
93GT
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote