StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
keithluneau

3.8L Injectors?

First let me state that I'm not sure where I should be posting 3.8L stuff! If this isnt the right place, move it and tell me where!

I've got a '94 with a 3.8, and the #2 cylinder was missing, I narrowed it down to the injector. I got on eBay and bought a replacement stock one, and changed just that one. The problem seemed to be fixed, the Check Engine light stayed off and the car was running smooth the first time I drove it after the swap. The next time I drove it, the light came back on and it felt like it was missing again, then cleared up but the light stayed on.

My question is, how can I clear the fault code from the computer without a codereader? Is there anything else I need to do to get things cleared up?

While I'm at it, what would be a good idea for some better-than-stock injectors to put in there next time I've got it apart?

Thanks in advance!
Keith
1994 V6 5sp Manual, pretty much stock with the exception of stainless Hooker cat-back exhaust, Summit mufflers. Inside theres a nice Pioneer head unit with Sony 6x9s in the rear deck, stockers in the doors.
keithluneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
joker
Friends

Disconnect your negative battery cable. Then get in the car, insert key and procede to flip the switch a time or two and pump the brakes. This should drain any remaining power in the electrical system, and reset the computer.

As far as the injectors, I would just replace them with OEM injectors unless you are attempting to make the car faster. Even then different injectors would really only be required if adding a power adder of some type.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
Disconnect your negative battery cable. Then get in the car, insert key and procede to flip the switch a time or two and pump the brakes. This should drain any remaining power in the electrical system, and reset the computer.

As far as the injectors, I would just replace them with OEM injectors unless you are attempting to make the car faster. Even then different injectors would really only be required if adding a power adder of some type.
+1 on everything joker said. I have never flipped the key on and off but it couldn't hurt
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
keithluneau

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried that this evening, and it seems to have reset the computer. The Check Engine light is off now, but the miss is back yet again! I'm getting frustrated with it! lol I took it for a short drive and the light came back on, but I figured it would. When I got back I pulled the plug wire off the coil pack for the #2 cylinder and it didnt make any difference. Its definitely that one still missing. I'll figure it out sooner or later though... lol

To date I've changed the plugs and wires, that injector, checked the compression on that cylinder, and made sure the injector was getting a signal from the computer, as well as checked to make sure the plug was firing. Note sure where to look next!
1994 V6 5sp Manual, pretty much stock with the exception of stainless Hooker cat-back exhaust, Summit mufflers. Inside theres a nice Pioneer head unit with Sony 6x9s in the rear deck, stockers in the doors.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
+1 on everything joker said. I have never flipped the key on and off but it couldn't hurt
I have read it both ways, that you need to flip the key, and pump the brakes. So, I just do both.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
joker
Friends

Have you been to Autozone to get the code checked? If not that may pinpoint your problem.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
keithluneau

Nope, not yet. I guess that'll be my next step though...

Thanks again for the great advise!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
keithluneau

For anyone keeping score, today I got my hands on a NOID light and tested the signal at the plug for the injector on the cylinder in question, which was good, checked the resistance on the injector itself which was 14.6 ohms, specs say 13.5-19, so thats good. Then I got a long shank screwdriver and listened to the injector clicking away while the engine is running, so that's good. I pulled the spark plug out, it looked fine to me, I stuck another one in though just to be sure, still misses. The coil pack is sending a spark to the plug, it shocked me good! lol So I guess the next steps will be to dig into the head, possibly moving down from there... Didn't want to, but I guess I have to! lol I think in the mean time I'll try to get the codes read and maybe have a better idea of what's going on....