StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
CrimsonGT

lincoln air ride problems????

A friend has an 88 lincoln fwd car, he says that the air bags will not air up and Brake light is on. On one or more occasions he has started it up and the brake light goes out and the air ride will pump up.
He said the last time everything worked fine he drove the car up and down his street till the rear deflated and stayed that way.

Is this a common problem, does anyone have a descent wiring diagram for the air ride?

thanks Joe
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
SkurdalenFox

The following wiring diagrams are for a '93 Lincoln Continental. '88 should be similar if not the same. Then again, '88 could be completely different. Nevertheless, here ya go,

How The Circuit Works

The Air Suspension Electronic Control Module performs two functions. It maintains vehicle height at a preset level (trim), and it switches automatically between soft ride and firm ride. Soft ride occurs during normal driving conditions; firm ride occurs during hard braking, acceleration, or cornering to improve vehicle handling.

To control vehicle height, the Air Suspension Electronic Control Module receives inputs from three height sensors. To maintain vehicle height the Module controls four air springs, four Air Spring Vent Solenoids, an Air Suspension Compressor Motor, a Vent Solenoid, and a Compressor Relay.

To raise the vehicle, the Module first turns on the compressor through the compressor relay. After a one second delay, the desired Air Spring Solenoid is turned on. This condition is maintained until the Module determines, through the Height Sensors, that the vehicle has reached the desired (trim) level. The Compressor Relay and the Air Spring Solenoid are then turned off.

Lowering the vehicle is done in much the same way, except the Vent Solenoid is turned on instead of the Compressor Relay, ignoring the one second delay.

The Air Suspension Switch operates the System during repair and/or diagnostic procedures.

The Air Suspension System works for up to one hour after the Ignition Switch is turned off. During this time, the Vent Solenoid will be operated as often as required. However, the Compressor Motor operates only once.

The Programmed Ride Control operates automatically when the Ignition Switch is in RUN. The ride control is enabled when battery voltage is applied through Fuse 5 to the Air Suspension Electronic Control Module. Under normal driving conditions, the Module momentarily energizes the Soft Shock Relay, which applies voltage to four Shock Actuators, rotating them to the soft ride setting.

The Air Suspension Electronic Control Module receives inputs from the Steering Rate Sensor, the Powertrain Control Module, Brake Pressure Switch and Shock Actuator position inputs. The Module uses these inputs to determine when the vehicle should be set for firm ride.

During quick turns, wide open throttle or heavy braking, the Module momentarily energizes the Hard Shock Relay. This applies battery voltage to the Shock Actuator's other inputs, which rotates them to the hard setting.

When the Module senses that the vehicle has returned to normal cruise, the Soft Shock Relay is momentarily energized again to return the Shock Actuators to their soft ride setting.

REFERENCE :For further diagnostic information, refer to «Section 04-05 »of the Service Manual.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Section 04-05" is the diagnostic procedure. If you'd like it, let me know and I'll post it.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
CrimsonGT

wow thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
CrimsonGT

canyou get me section 4 and 5 thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
SkurdalenFox

A cursory examination of the relevant sections of the diagnostic procedure revealed that the procedure outlined by Ford requires a New Generation Star Tester.

One of these,

Perhaps these are available to rent.

I can look more throughly this evening. Perhaps there are alternative instructions that don't require anything more than a multi-meter.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #6
SkurdalenFox

I looked the instructions more carefully and fully. It's unfortunate, but all the procedures they give assume the repairer has access to a NGST. Sorry, man.

If you haven't already, start by checking the relays...

I wish I could give you some better instructions. Just follow the "How the circuit works" info, and go on down the line.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
CrimsonGT

thanks
I haven't looked at his car yet but I will have him replace the relays
Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
SkurdalenFox

Not to be pedantic, but check the fuses, then test the relays and only replace the bad ones.

Be careful with the solenoids. They have polarity sensitive diodes in them.

I wonder if you jump the DLC, like on an PCM, it would flash codes.

Last edited by SkurdalenFox; 02-06-2008 at 05:38 PM.
SkurdalenFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
ujslost

if the bags are deflating , more than likely the bags are cracked where the folds are, this is very common on the lincolns.
ujslost is offline   Reply With Quote