StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)

Old 04-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Bluethunder

Project 347...

Alright, as I mentioned in my last thread, my current(first!) project is building a 347 stroker using the 302 block from my '89 LX. I'm a decent tech, but i'm fairly new to the high performance aspect of the trade, so any help is greatly appreciated from anyone!

My goals are the following:
1. Definitely streetable/reliable(summer daily driver/weekend racer).

2. 300-350 RWHP(or more, whatever is realistic).

3. Would like to keep the compression ratio down if I decide to add a blower in the future.

4. Budget of $5000CDN(roughly $4000USD).

5. I'm setting a deadline for June/July...I hope

I've already ordered the stroker kit from Eagle and i'm pretty lost trying to figure out a good head/cam/intake combination. I've been leaning towards the Twisted Wedge top end kit from TF partly because it seems to be a complete kit and comes with everything...pretty simple. But how efficient will this combination work with a 347? Will the kit cam be sufficient? Or should i take a different road with individual components instead of a kit?

If that's the case, I realize that I have endless combinations. I noticed several of you use the AFR 165s and seem to recommend them to alot of users. Would these be an efficient head with a 347, or would the 185s be the better choice? Is valve float still an issue with them above 5000RPM? What intake/cam would you recommend with them?

I've also got a few other questions as well:
1. What size injectors/fuel pump are sufficient?

2. Do any modifications need to be done to the stock EEC to compensate for an aftermarket MAF/TB/larger injectors/increased displacement, etc...?(my guess is yes).

3. Those of you using the twEECer, have you had much luck with it and what are your recommendations? I'm very interested in tuning and would love to learn more about it in the future. So it's definitely on my "to-do" list for this build.

4. Will the stock 5spd be strong enough to support the increased hp?

5. Any clutch recommendations?

Basically, i'm very open minded here and I would love to hear everyone's opinion! If anything else comes to mind, i'll post it.

Thanks for the help
Bluethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: Project 347...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethunder
Alright, as I mentioned in my last thread, my current(first!) project is building a 347 stroker using the 302 block from my '89 LX. I'm a decent tech, but i'm fairly new to the high performance aspect of the trade, so any help is greatly appreciated from anyone!

3. Would like to keep the compression ratio down if I decide to add a blower in the future.

I've already ordered the stroker kit from Eagle and i'm pretty lost trying to figure out a good head/cam/intake combination. I've been leaning towards the Twisted Wedge top end kit from TF partly because it seems to be a complete kit and comes with everything...pretty simple. But how efficient will this combination work with a 347? Will the kit cam be sufficient? Or should i take a different road with individual components instead of a kit?

If that's the case, I realize that I have endless combinations. I noticed several of you use the AFR 165s and seem to recommend them to alot of users. Would these be an efficient head with a 347, or would the 185s be the better choice? Is valve float still an issue with them above 5000RPM? What intake/cam would you recommend with them?
In a 347 application and from what it seems you want, I don't know that I would do a TFS top end kit. 347 is going to want to breathe. If you did the TFS top end kit, I would recommend a port job on the heads and ditching the cam for a custom.

I would consider the AFR 185 heads (maybe even the 205's), custom grind camshaft, and at a minimum a Trickflow track heat intake (I, personally would consider a TFS-R intake)
Also if you already have the stroker kit, then I assume you already have the pistons, so part of your compression factor is already done. Do you have pistons and what are they? Dished, flat top, or dome?
Quote:

2. Do any modifications need to be done to the stock EEC to compensate for an aftermarket MAF/TB/larger injectors/increased displacement, etc...?(my guess is yes).

3. Those of you using the twEECer, have you had much luck with it and what are your recommendations? I'm very interested in tuning and would love to learn more about it in the future. So it's definitely on my "to-do" list for this build.

Basically, i'm very open minded here and I would love to hear everyone's opinion! If anything else comes to mind, i'll post it.

Thanks for the help
1) at least 30's

2)yes you will need an EEC tune.

3) if you are willing to learn, the Tweecer R/T is a great tool for the money. Plan on getting a wideband 02 sensor setup that will datalog in the software. This will save you a massive amount of time.

4) I can break a t-5 in a stock 302

5) I have used King Cobra , Super King Cobra, Centerforce, and now Spec. I like all of them. Power output is what its all about with a clutch. Centerforce dual friction has the lightest pedal effort but after inspection when the throw out bearing seized up in about 5k miles, it was not enough clutch for my application but I think it would do well in a 350rwhp engine.

-Lee
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
LeeH

Quote:

Thats easy with a 347, A mild 347 at that.

Quote:
AFR185, Z304, Canfield 192 etc.
The TFS TW heads are a good head but they present some unique problems, Are the pistons in the kit for inline valve heads or TW? To take advantage of the heads on a 347 your average small lazy lobe Hyd roller aint gonna do it, If the pistons are for inline valve heads then dont go with TW heads. I hate the TFS packages, Its a good option if there are no others available.
Individual components!!!

Quote:
Valve float isnt an issue if the correct springs are used, The spring choice is dictated by the cam used and nothing else. The springs that come with aftermarket heads are there to keep the valves from falling out of the castings when they are removed from the box. Use the right spring for the cam and you wont have any problems.
Quote:
I like 42s and a minimum of a 255 in tank pump.
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
The TwEECer is a nice product but there are others that offer a much higher level of support.
Quote:
No.
Quote:
Spec.

My 347:
Eagle rotating assembly
SRP forged pistons roughly 11:1
AFR185s
TFS "R" intake
Cam (Jay Allen)
75mm Tbody
30# inj.
HS 1.6 RR
Tremec TR3550
You get the idea, Theres more there but its irrelevant. That ought to give you an idea, We(Me and Dale) are expecting about 410-420RWHP N/A out of it. I am going to make the step up to 42s pretty soon but for now the 30s will have to work.
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
coupe
Super Moderator

Go with a TFS-R intake and a 205cc head (AFR 205, Victor Jr., or Dart Pro1). These alone will probably add 50hp over a track-heat and 185cc heads.

There are probably 1 million of these type motors running around out there. You will be able to find all sorts of input about different combinations on here and other 'stang websites. Just check around a bit. You'll see what's good and bad for that setup.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

LeeH, is correct. If you are wanting a street/strip setup then I
would build something similar to what LeeH has now. That way you
do not break the bank and still have nice performance.
It should put around 400hp to the ground fairly easily......
Dale McPeters is offline   Reply With Quote