StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Using Methonal Injection for Blower/Turbo Cars

Who all on the site is running a methanol injection setup in their blower or turbo setups?

I just bought an AFM Mr. Freeze setup to put on the '93 cobra. I know that there are supposedly better systems on the market but the AFM units are so simple and you do not have to worry about any activation switches etc. etc.

So with that out of the way what are you guys using and what kind of results are you having?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
yellowSVT

none yet still dont know much about them!
2012 f150 4x4 5.0 blk
2012 rzr LE S orange
2012 rzr LE silver/blk
2003 DSG lightning
2001 ford focus ZX3 silver
yellowSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McPeters View Post
Who all on the site is running a methanol injection setup in their blower or turbo setups?

I just bought an AFM Mr. Freeze setup to put on the '93 cobra. I know that there are supposedly better systems on the market but the AFM units are so simple and you do not have to worry about any activation switches etc. etc.

So with that out of the way what are you guys using and what kind of results are you having?
I was running a snow performance stage 2 water methanol kit on my car with a vortech s trim up until about two weeks ago and never had any problems. I had it to cool the intake charge and richen my a/f curve I was running the snow performance premix boost juice as a mater of fact I sold the suprcharger and methanol kit and still have three gallons of boost juice left if you want to come pick it up you can have it I couldn't ship it with the methanol kit.

Last edited by BLOWN95GT; 05-06-2010 at 02:19 PM.
BLOWN95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
BLOWN95GT

I just read up a little on the mr freeze kit on the Anderson website you say it has no switches to activate the kit how does it hook up and introduce the water methanol to the intake. Remember just because it's simple and easy does not mean it's better in other words you get what you pay for. Just wondering how it worked because you don't want water methanol leaking into the intake after you get out of boost or turn the car off because it can hydro lock the motor.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN95GT View Post
I was running a snow performance stage 2 water methanol kit on my car with a vortech s trim up until about two weeks ago and never had any problems. I had it to cool the intake charge and richen my a/f curve I was running the snow performance premix boost juice as a mater of fact I sold the suprcharger and methanol kit and still have three gallons of boost juice left if you want to come pick it up you can have it I couldn't ship it with the methanol kit.
I know a couple of people around here that run a snow kit. Seems to work very good...

The Mr. Freeze kit works off of vac/boost pressure. No switches or activation devices needed....

I am afraid that it would be way out of my way to drive over and pick up just three gallons.........I would have to pick up enough to fill up my 18' car trailer so I could sell it and pay for the diesel that I would use to get there and back.....

Hey and I just noticed somebody moved my thread.......

Last edited by Dale McPeters; 05-06-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Dale McPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
ncontt
pro-jackstand racer

Send a message via AIM to ncontt Send a message via Yahoo to ncontt
buddy of ours had the Snow kit on his V-2'd vert and LOVED it!!! was able to run LOOOOW 10's (10.20's) in a full weight/full interiored/fully optioned 93 vert, stock hood, stock ponies etc, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
BLOWN95GT

Yea I picked up 4 degrees of timing, about 20hp, 30ft lbs, all the way across the chart and the a/f ratio went from 12.7 to 11.3 on the top end. I had the controller on mine so the meth kicked in at 6psi. But I also had a solenoid that opened when the kit activated and closed when you got out of boost to keep the methanol that was left in the line from leaking into the intake. Just a couple of questions about the Anderson kit? If the kit runs off boost vacum pressure does the boost pressure push the methanol in to the intake and if so what keeps the vacum pressure or the flow of air through the intake tube from sucking methanol in while not in boost?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

It is setup old school with vac. diaphragms .... there is no pump to go out..
And it spray's in before the blower. The diaphragms open and close just like a switch...think old school. We used them for years before all this electrical/electronic stuff came about..........

And besides that if Rick and Brian both tell me it will work like a charm that is good enough for me....

I am looking for opinions on the actual improvement on the meth injection side of it anyway not which system is better than the other....

Brad how much did it cool the intake charge or did he say and was this on a stock type engine?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

By the way blown95gt what were you using to tune the car with when you saw those gains in hp & tq?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McPeters View Post
It is setup old school with vac. diaphragms .... there is no pump to go out..
And it spray's in before the blower. The diaphragms open and close just like a switch...think old school. We used them for years before all this electrical/electronic stuff came about..........

And besides that if Rick and Brian both tell me it will work like a charm that is good enough for me....

I am looking for opinions on the actual improvement on the meth injection side of it anyway not which system is better than the other....

Brad how much did it cool the intake charge or did he say and was this on a stock type engine?
I wasn't trying to say one was better than the other I just had to know how it worked without electronics. I've never seen anyone with one of these kits but if it works good I would
like to know I may end up getting one myself for the turbo project I'm fixxing to install on my car instead of paying over $300 for another snow kit