StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > EEC Management > Tweecer

Old 04-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #11
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar5.0 View Post
I've had excellent results with the C&L w/tuner tube - it draws air from the center of the airstream using a venturi effect - much better than the straight-through sample tubes. Can measure to 2700 kg/hr on my 80mm meter as well. I am impressed with how clean the signal is and how I have not had to adjust the provided MAF curve at all.

Edit: BTW, the voltage rising as the engine dies has nothing to do with the C&L tube, though the electronics may be messed up. I would guess the fan coming on (electrical) and the voltage to the MAF varying have something to do with the problem. Blaming the "meter" is not logical really since the 70mm Cobra meter uses a straight-thru tube just like the C&L and the same electronics (slightly different calibration).
The 70mm cobra meter does not have a straight through sample tube. The sample goes to the post in the middle of the meter which has a backing plate and forwards the sir down the post to the exit at the bottom
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
Cougar5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
That's interesting. Is this something that C&L sells? Sounds like a good idea, but they should've got the word out if they were fixing a problem.

I'm not sure why they don't promote them more, but here is the page with the 85mm & 95mm Tuner MAF's http://www.cnlperformance.com/tunerMAF.html

I found out about the tuner tube while using Clint's EEC Analyzer - he had curves for the "Tuner Tube" and I then called C&L and got one as my meter was maxing out with the straight-through tube I was using. I was immediately impressed with the cleaner voltage signal and the lack of adjustment needed to get the car running with consistent near 1 KAMRF's. Yesterday I was lugging at 30MPH in 5th gear (1000RPM) and was quite impressed with the smoothness - pretty impressive with XE270HR cam I'm using.
Cougar5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
Cougar5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
The 70mm cobra meter does not have a straight through sample tube. The sample goes to the post in the middle of the meter which has a backing plate and forwards the sir down the post to the exit at the bottom
I do remember seeing one of those meters. My 70mm meter has a straight tube - I got it from a Supercoupe though - I guess I forgot about that difference. The electronics are the same however.
Cougar5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
SteedaChaos

Send a message via Yahoo to SteedaChaos
I think i need to dump my 76mm C&L too and get w/ the PMAS80mm! Mark wasn't pleased that i had the 76mm when he did my tune, but for a couple of weeks all was well, smooth ride at 17-1800rpm in 5th (4 me that's low), or sometimes she'd get great gas mileage, others omfg sheesh this thing chugging too much gas down wtf?!

But ya grab myself one and get a re-tune all should be well after that!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
TT331FB

Update C&L testing

Hi Stangers,

I got tired, of messing with the 76MM C&L and decided to go back to the stock MAF. My plan was to get the car running real good and then try the C&L.

I was able to get the stock MAF running fine. Without changing any mechanical adjustments, I put the C&L back in, tweeced the new MAF curve, and gave it another shot. The tune was really close but I could tell the idle was not as good. The KMRFs were perfect though.

With the stock MAF, I was able to disconnect ICS, and the engine would drop to about 700 RPM. Trying the same trick, with the C&L, stalled the engine right away.

If you recall, my problem was that the engine would stall almost every time the low speed fan would come on. After I went to the cobra tune, with my stock MAF, those problems went away.

So, what do I think I have learned? Well, for one, the idle MAF was the same for both the C&L and the stock MAF. That tells me the MAF calibrations were good. By the way, I used Clints 76MM black tube 24# 70MM sensor curve from the EECA.

I think the C&L has problems at the low MAF flows, because the larger flow area, and the way the tube only looks ,at flow in one spot. the stock MAF sorta averages it because of the divider that goes across the MAF.

Where to go from here? The stock MAF is getting to about 4.8 Volts WOT. I suppose I could live with it. I probably will given that spending $200 would only get me about 10 HP. I probaly will put a K&N fliter in and call it good.
TT331FB - T3/.6/.63 turbos, Spearco intercooler, 302/331 Mexican Block,AFR 185 heads, 80mm MAF, 75mm TB, 50# injectors, Tweecer, Track Heat intake, Comp cams roller blower grind, MSD BTM, DIY-WB, Yokogawa video display,T-56 tranny, 9" 3.5:1 Traclock, 4x disk brakes, TCP most everything, shelby roll bar. First fire up 2/14/2004.
TT331FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #16
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

you are able to run a stock maf on a turbo car? What year MAF?
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #17
TT331FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
you are able to run a stock maf on a turbo car? What year MAF?
My sig is my Vintage Mustang. I'm talking about my '94 Vert.

To add confussion, I also have a 64.5 Vert and a 91 5.0 LX.

Eric
TT331FB - T3/.6/.63 turbos, Spearco intercooler, 302/331 Mexican Block,AFR 185 heads, 80mm MAF, 75mm TB, 50# injectors, Tweecer, Track Heat intake, Comp cams roller blower grind, MSD BTM, DIY-WB, Yokogawa video display,T-56 tranny, 9" 3.5:1 Traclock, 4x disk brakes, TCP most everything, shelby roll bar. First fire up 2/14/2004.
TT331FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
gt90stang

Hi all,

Well I don't know what could be going on, but I've tuned my 76mm C&L with three setups on my 90GT 306.

1. NA with MAC cold air kit.
2. NA with stock air box and K&N.
3. SC 8psi KB Blowzilla with stock air box and K&N.

All tuned very easily with an LM-1 WBO2 with rock steady idle and very smooth throttle response. Guess I'm just lucky.

Don
gt90stang is offline   Reply With Quote