StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
coupe
Super Moderator

Depends how much power and torque the engine will be making and how heavy the car is. C4's seem to hold power in lightweight cars but the threshold seems to be about an honest 750 horsepower...and that's with a nicely built one. Turbo power is especially rough on C4's.

The AOD/4R70W can move a heavier car into that power range, but still has its weaknesses, especially shifting into drive (unless you have special components like a lentech valvebody which also uses reverse clutches in drive to add holding power).
The AOD can be built to be reliable at 1000hp, but look to spend $2500- $3k for just the trans...about twice the price of a "Comp" style C4. To me, the overdrive is worth it though.

TH400 is the best bang for the buck...Just a 34 element sprag, better valve body, good clutches, and a converter and you're just about bullet-proof at 800hp.

To the OP... what clutch was it? Have you thought about a different clutch? Certainly cheaper and easier than a complete swap over, at least for now..
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Depends how much power and torque the engine will be making and how heavy the car is. C4's seem to hold power in lightweight cars but the threshold seems to be about an honest 750 horsepower...and that's with a nicely built one. Turbo power is especially rough on C4's.

The AOD/4R70W can move a heavier car into that power range, but still has its weaknesses, especially shifting into drive (unless you have special components like a lentech valvebody which also uses reverse clutches in drive to add holding power).
The AOD can be built to be reliable at 1000hp, but look to spend $2500- $3k for just the trans...about twice the price of a "Comp" style C4. To me, the overdrive is worth it though.

TH400 is the best bang for the buck...Just a 34 element sprag, better valve body, good clutches, and a converter and you're just about bullet-proof at 800hp.

To the OP... what clutch was it? Have you thought about a different clutch? Certainly cheaper and easier than a complete swap over, at least for now..
The clutch was custom built for me by a friend that works at a shop here in birmingham It is a all brass 6 puck disc and a heavy duty pressure plate. The pressure plate made the clutch pedal a little stiffer than it was with the centerforce dual friction and it grabbed a hell of a lot harder than the centerforce ever thought about grabbing there where a couple of times before the tornado's hit that you could hear the dash pop like it was going to fall out in your lap, then the cd player would come out of the dash and hit you in the hand. The clutch did fine before I pulled the motor out, but I think that sometime during the tornado the pressure plate might have recieved some damage. It drives fine just like a normal car until you start to hit boost then its like the pressure plate isn't pushing against the clutch enough. The car is back at the body shop getting a few more small details worked out after that I will drive it back to my shop pull the trans back out and have the pressure plate and clutch inspected and swapped out before I make my decision. I believe If I swap I may do a th400 I want something that will hold up for a while but I don't want to get bored while driving I had been talking to my buddy Anthony with the red turbo 93 coupe and he is having one built to put in his car right now.
BLOWN95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

th400 with brake + slicks = instant win
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtusnake View Post
th400 with brake + slicks = instant win
Yea Im running m/t et street radial's right now but they break loose about halfway through third. I know where I can get some wrinkle walls from though. I also have some 31 spline hardened axle's and a strange 31 spline full race spool for whenever I get the extra money for the c-clip eliminators.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN95GT View Post
Yea Im running m/t et street radial's right now but they break loose about halfway through third. I know where I can get some wrinkle walls from though. I also have some 31 spline hardened axle's and a strange 31 spline full race spool for whenever I get the extra money for the c-clip eliminators.
Changing the subject a bit here. Does your turbo produces a lot of heat keeping the engine bay and motor heat soaked and showing high temps on you water gauge.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
Changing the subject a bit here. Does your turbo produces a lot of heat keeping the engine bay and motor heat soaked and showing high temps on you water gauge.

Edgar
Drove the car a few times last weekend in the 98-100 degree heat and temp never got over 180, I have a 160 thermostat. I thought of buying another methanol injection kit to cool the intake charge, I wish I would have kept the one I had.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

Quote:
Hoosier radials work very well if you want to stay radial.
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #18
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Drove the car a few times last weekend in the 98-100 degree heat and temp never got over 180, I have a 160 thermostat. I thought of buying another methanol injection kit to cool the intake charge, I wish I would have kept the one I had.
Mine gets up to 220 but the radiator and coolant is about 180. Do you have an electric fan on it? I'm putting one in the car this weekend. I had to put a 130 amp alternator and wiring kit. Hopefully I can get the hot air out of the engine bay.

Edgar
Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
BLOWN95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickd GT View Post
Mine gets up to 220 but the radiator and coolant is about 180. Do you have an electric fan on it? I'm putting one in the car this weekend. I had to put a 130 amp alternator and wiring kit. Hopefully I can get the hot air out of the engine bay.

Edgar
Yes I am running a fluidine 3 core aluminum radiator with an electric fan that Is wired to come on as soon as the ignition is turned on. Mine would probably stay at or around 160 if it didn't have a 3' long 4" thick intercooler mounted In front of it.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Yes I am running a fluidine 3 core aluminum radiator with an electric fan that Is wired to come on as soon as the ignition is turned on. Mine would probably stay at or around 160 if it didn't have a 3' long 4" thick intercooler mounted In front of it.
Same here, but mine is 3.5 thick. Thanks:

Edgar