StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Wickd GT
Friends

Went to the track to test the suspension...

All passes wre on motor.

I took my car to the track last night, the suspension was set up at this, right rear at 4 clicks, left rear at 3 clicks both struts at 4 clicks. I launch it on motor and this thing raised the left front about 3 ft on the air and towards the wall (right Lane). Next time I put 3 more clicks on the right rear, (thats 7 clicks) and the fronts I went to 5 clicks. I launch it again and almost took the Christmas tree (left lane). Next time I put the right rear at 10 clicks and the left rear at 7 clicks, both struts at 7 clicks. Tire pressure at 10psi, I launch it again and this time it came out better, still a bit to the right, and try to make a full pass, what I notice was at the launch I heard a big clunk at the left rear and once I was at full throtle the back of the car is bouncing all the way down the track like the tires were doing the valveing of the shock, to me too stiff. I dont't know what else to do, I did not even try to put the bottle on it. Looks like the IC is out of wak, once I lowered the ride height. I can hear the drive shaft trying to go up in the tunnel. So, the only way I'll go to valdosta if Eric will be there and then we can set this up. Another thing, the antiroll bar had to be cut because it was hiting my upper control arms and the guy cut the ends of the anti roll bar. That is one of the reasons why the car is leaning so much at the right rear. You cannot beleive how frustrated I am with this, I should of left it alone with the stock suspension. The coil springs at the rear are 12"-150 lbs. Fronts are strange 10 way adjustables and 14" 160lbs.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

I would wait and get the antiroll bar hooked back up before making any changes to your current set up.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
96GTS
Mine's bigger...

Send a message via AIM to 96GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrbullit View Post
I would wait and get the antiroll bar hooked back up before making any changes to your current set up.
WORD! I only make 320rwhp, but my car would go all over the place launching (but I didnt lift the wheels like you), put the anti roll bar on, dead perfect EVERY launch. 90/10s up front. QA1 12ways out back, left and right at 5 clicks. Street driving at 2 clicks.

Have you made any passes with the antirol bar hooked up?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GTS View Post
WORD! I only make 320rwhp, but my car would go all over the place launching (but I didnt lift the wheels like you), put the anti roll bar on, dead perfect EVERY launch. 90/10s up front. QA1 12ways out back, left and right at 5 clicks. Street driving at 2 clicks.

Have you made any passes with the antirol bar hooked up?
Antiroll bar had to be cut off because it was hitting the cross over of the antiroll bar plus the guy that did the minitub cut the tips of the arms because they were hitting the shocks??????? Should of moved it back instead of cutting the arms. So now I'm looking to but one from baseline suspensions.

Edgar
Old 09-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
coupe
Super Moderator

Edgar, see if the Maximum Motorsports Anti-Roll will work. It's configured totally different from all the others...the bar is actually on the live portion (axle) of the suspension, rigid mounts to the body...works like a charm.

And let a little info out about your IC. Where's the Instant Center now? I forgot the control-arm combo... Spring-rate out back (if it's truly 150# per inch) sounds way too low. That's where it's bottoming out.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
Wickd GT
Friends

The Maximun Motorsports roll bar will interfere with the coil over brackets. The IC I have not check yet but I'm going to measure in a few and see what happens. The lower control arms are Megabite JRs and the uppers are upr double adjustable. The coil over kit at the rear are single QA1 12 way adjustable and the coils are 12"-150lbs. They are set up at 14 1/2 with the car sitting on the ground.

Edgar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Edgar, see if the Maximum Motorsports Anti-Roll will work. It's configured totally different from all the others...the bar is actually on the live portion (axle) of the suspension, rigid mounts to the body...works like a charm.

And let a little info out about your IC. Where's the Instant Center now? I forgot the control-arm combo... Spring-rate out back (if it's truly 150# per inch) sounds way too low. That's where it's bottoming out.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
Disney Lincoln

Def. get the anti-roll bar back on it. If even a UPR or Steeda. Get something on there. Then get back to the track.

AS for now.... I'd probably back the rear both down to about 3-4 and do a 60' You can almost just hit it from an idle while rolling down the street and get an idea. Make small adjustments from there. Leave the fronts tight like you have for now until you can get it to go straight in the rear. Might try moving some weight up front too. I'd wager your IC isn't too far off if all you did was lower it and you still have the megabite Jr's on the bottom. It sounds like shock valving and weight are what's hurting you right now.

Anti-rollbar FTW.
Disney Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Wickd GT
Friends

Well, a friend of mine that builds cars around here, came by the house, and guess what? The way the shocks were mounted on a 30* angle and the bracket were the coil overs are mounted, the suspension is binding and the shocks are bottoming out due to the angle they are mounted. So this weekend the rear suspension is going to be a complete solid upr and anti roll bar, and the shocks are going to be mounted with the cross bar in between the frames instead of through the floor pointing forward. The relocation is going to work better because now thew anti roll bar when it gets mounted it will function like it's suppose to and the shocks will be in the up right position.

Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Lincoln View Post
Def. get the anti-roll bar back on it. If even a UPR or Steeda. Get something on there. Then get back to the track.

AS for now.... I'd probably back the rear both down to about 3-4 and do a 60' You can almost just hit it from an idle while rolling down the street and get an idea. Make small adjustments from there. Leave the fronts tight like you have for now until you can get it to go straight in the rear. Might try moving some weight up front too. I'd wager your IC isn't too far off if all you did was lower it and you still have the megabite Jr's on the bottom. It sounds like shock valving and weight are what's hurting you right now.

Anti-rollbar FTW.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
Ponygirl
Pink Ladies

[off topic] Edgar, how's your daughter doing?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
Wickd GT
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponygirl View Post
[off topic] Edgar, how's your daughter doing?
You can not believe how good she is doing. The brace is off, last Friday, then they gave her some exercise to do without the brace, she went to the physical therapy yesterday and the Doc was in shock, she can bent the thumb all the way to the palm of the hand and can bent the wrist 85* and with assistance almost to 90*. She see the Surgeon next week and we are hoping he releases her, if he does she does not have to go to therapy only once a week, maybe. She starts to work next week. She is having straight A's at the college. Thanks for asking:

Edgar