Re: Clay Bar + Wax = Teh Shine

Good one, Drew!
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #22
lukem80
日本語

Send a message via AIM to lukem80

man... your 100,000 mile volvo looks better than my 30K Cobra.. you can polish a car dude..

that chop rocks
lukem80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #23
FastRedPonyCar
They call me CrazyFingers

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Finally emptied the memory card to my PC with pics of her car.

WeedeatAr reflection

2017 Dodge Charger ScatPack 392

2016 Mazda CX9 Signature Edition - Hers

1999 Volvo S70 T5 - Un-killable beater (Always for sale)

FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #24
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Looks good.

I really need to work on the Cobra. It hasn't been waxed in about 4 or 5 months, and I really want to claybar it.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #25
StangChik

Where did you buy that stuff i've never heard of it
StangChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #26
GTkitten

It might just be silly me here, but I can't get excited over the clay bar. Could it be because my car is white? It seems to be alot of work to me...and I just don't get that much out of it. I need to find a wonder product because I have a serious bug/chipping problem on the front bumper. I kinda decided that I would just use that debug stuff and scrub it with my little mit and then when it bothered me badly enough I would just have the stupid thing painted.

Oh...and very nice work on the washing/detailing. Car is seriously clean!
GTkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #27
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTkitten View Post
It might just be silly me here, but I can't get excited over the clay bar. Could it be because my car is white? It seems to be alot of work to me...and I just don't get that much out of it. I need to find a wonder product because I have a serious bug/chipping problem on the front bumper. I kinda decided that I would just use that debug stuff and scrub it with my little mit and then when it bothered me badly enough I would just have the stupid thing painted.

Oh...and very nice work on the washing/detailing. Car is seriously clean!
White cars are easier to clean up. I remember my white '98 GT looked clean even when it was dirty.

Clar bars won't help with bugs and chips. Their primary purpose is to remove oxidation and old wax residue that is causing the paint to look dull. Cars that are driven are just going to get chips in the bumper, side skirts, and any part that sticks out from the rest of the car (such as the side scoops on my Cobra that look like they've been in a war). As much as it probably bothers you on a white car, just be glad it isn't a darker color where every little flaw stands out like a sore thumb.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #28
GTkitten

Yeah, I guess you're right. When the white car gets dirty, it just looks like a pearl color...but I can tell the difference. When I first got the car, I had what looked like little brown spots in the white paint all over the hood...you could only see them when you got your eyes really close to it. I think it may have been parked under a tree or something, dunno. But we tried the clay bar on that, and it just didn't help. It's been over a year now, and i don't notice the little spots that much anymore...

Is it oxidation inside the plastic in headlights that makes them look so hazy? I hate that the most...I already replaced one of the headlights because that was bothering me. The car looked alot newer just with the new headlight. The other one is starting to turn...don't know why the one on right was like 10x worse.
GTkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #29
FastRedPonyCar
They call me CrazyFingers

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
There's no real fix for oranging headlamps. There is some homebrew vinegar mixture floating around that's supposed to remove it or lessen it but I've heard it doesn't work worth a crap and makes your car stink like vinegar after the headlight heats up the residue it leaves behind.

Anyways, no claybar is not exiciting by any means but it is quite necessary to get that absolute mirror polish look. After you claybar (and before wax) you can run your hand across the paint and it's like running your hand across glass. No little dirt or dust particles at all. It also removes dirt and old wax from the microscopic holes and pores in the paint and clear coat so that when you go over it with wax after claybar, the wax can fill in those holes and pores and protect the paint. If not, you run the risk of the paint chipping from lack of that protection.

www.griotsgarage.com is where I've bought most of my detailers stuff from. It's some of the best that money can buy and worth EVERY PENNY. It's more expensive than the meguiars and mothers stuff at autozone and until you use the different kinds, you really won't fully appreiciate the more expensive stuff. They do make it a bit easier and simpler to buy stuff becuase they put a lot of the key products into package deals depending on what you want to do. Like paint repair kits, clay bar kits, show kits, interior kits, etc.

I'm just glad the car doesn't have to be waxed but about 5 times a year. It's a good 4 or 5 hour job. Just axe Luke.

2017 Dodge Charger ScatPack 392

2016 Mazda CX9 Signature Edition - Hers

1999 Volvo S70 T5 - Un-killable beater (Always for sale)

Last edited by FastRedPonyCar; 10-10-2006 at 08:26 PM.
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote