StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #11
Disney Lincoln

Re: Vortech install stalled.

You can leave it further down if you aren't planning on running a sway bar. Otherwise it will hit.

The brackets are all correct, it's the 3G is bigger then the regular Fox 2G alt. I just swing em down lower like 86GT did.
Disney Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #12
86GT

Exactly, the 3G is noticably different in the diameter. This is why the arc and length of the bracket has to be modified. I too am very suprised that the S/C manufactures have not made a bracket for this configuration. The 3G is a common modification to the fox body.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #13
SteedaChaos

Send a message via Yahoo to SteedaChaos

Well i got her fired off, still got an alignment issus w/ what looks to be the factory tensioner isn't pulled in all the way by it's bolt, the belt rides right off the A/C.

Other concern is the discharge tube, it make contact on the blower and T.B., and is pressed against the strut-tower. i have pretty stout motor mounts or so i might think, other than sagging motor mounts anyone have/had clearance issues w/ the discharge pipe?
SteedaChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 AM   #14
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedaChaos
Well, Vortech wasn't any help, only suggections were to mod the bracket or toss on a stock Alt., my alt. is stock i say for a police pkg stang it is (130 amp). Can't believe they have nothing for me, mean after all these years of marriage between stangs and vortech, they don't have this issues address w/ a optional brace.

Hoping i can just get a longer bolt and use a sleeve shim and the alt. will slide and mesh nicely w/ their brace, will try tomorrow maybe.

I didn't catch this before but I am pretty sure that NO fox come with that style alternator. Yes the SSP cars did come with the higher amp alternator but it didn't look any different then the standard alternator.

Like was mentioned earlier the 3G alternator like what you have is a very common mod and it seems that vortech would have already addressed it
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #15
coupe
Super Moderator

The later police cars had the 3G-style. mine did. It's got the internal fan, regulator, everything. My '87 has the regular-looking one with the fan outside right behind the pulley, but it has 130 AMP capacity also.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
SteedaChaos

Yea, mine came w/ the new style 130 amp, which other than the mounting points is identical internally to the 4.6's 130amp, i guess this change came since the intro of the SSP 4.6 crown vics and they consolidated the the production on the alt's.

Also then in 94-95's they gave the 5.0's the 3G alt. didn't they?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #17
SteedaChaos

Oh and to fix the Alt. brace issue i needed a machine shop to cut:
1 an 5/16in L. spacer 3/8i.d., 1/2o.d. use w/ a flat-washer to guard the alum. smog plate from being dmg'd by the spacer sleeve. It dropped the Vortech brace down further to a perfect posistion and mated dead-on to the alt.

The pessure the belt will apply to that ext. bolt is perfect also as it'll apply force straight up thru the bolt into the plate as it needs to, and not side to side where it'd weaken and break the smog plate eventually.

One guy from N2Spd mentioned there'll be no clearance left to mount a stock sway-bar w/ the alt sitting lower, which is ok for me since i've never ran w/ one anyway.