StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
SteedaChaos

Send a message via Yahoo to SteedaChaos
TKO600 drivetrain vibration

Installed the TKO600 kit from D&D perf. on my bro's 2003 GT, only piece they didn't send was the cross-member shim (raises tail-end to previou height of the 3650), i called to report it was absence, was told they quit using them because tight clearance of trans to car body, told me it would fine w/o the shim.

Well all's completed and finish, took her down the road, and had vibrations from the driveshaft, with at one point it would sing w/ a high pitch noise. So took it back the shop shimmed the tran's tail-end vertically (you could see from the side-veiw the downward angle of the yoke to the out-put shaft)

It responded well to that, but did not dispose of the vibration, well after a couple of tries to the point the trans hit the car body, we moved onto adjustable upper control arms to bring the perferred angles on the driveshaft since there was no more room for vertical lift on the trans, but after setting pinion angle at 6 degrees then 4 degrees with the last time at 2.5ish degrees, but it changed the vibrations but did not dispose of it still.

Before i snapped the 3650's in-put shaft this vibration was non-exsistent, she was smooth from 0-150mph, idle to 6,000rpm's, the very things i love about the SN95's w/ the smooth 4.6L.

So has anyone else have/had vibrations when switched to the TKO's, solved it, etc?? Only other thing i can think of is to have a thorough inspection and balance check on the driveshaft.
SteedaChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Blown 5.0

Re: TKO600 drivetrain vibration

If the u-joints was running in a differnt posotion then you could have some U-joint problems, Im not saying the joints will check bad or loose im saying once a joint runs at one angle for a while then you change that angle the joint can and will vibrate. Have had it to happen several times. Changed a set of gears once, nothing else, the car picked up one of the most horrible vibrations i have ever felt, changed the drive shaft and all was fine. My Maverick is pretty hard on the rear joint, ( have to replace twice a summer usually) that is how i tell when it is getting worn it will start vibrationing. It will still be tight but when you pull the caps off the needles will be buried up in the cross. Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
SteedaChaos

I am so glad to hear you speak of that, that is one idea that hasn't crossed my mind it's like BAM!! when you spoke of it , it hit me like a brick wall. Yes with this car having 57,000mi with the 3650, then to change up ot the TKO (which is old school housing, friendly to the Fox body) that makes alot of sense. I was mulling over trying a new driveshaft just because of a hutch, but you just validated the reason to it, thanks very much.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

I too am having a vibration issue after installing a TKO 600, I know of one other person on Stangnet that is having issues and he has done everything but try a different transmission. I am at wits end with mine and about ready to push the SOB off a cliff. Plus the gear ratios in the TKO 600 suck.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
SteedaChaos

Dang, well it sucks but glad to hear i ain't alone with this. I'm going to try (if possible) the alum. driveshaft from my '92 LX w/ the old Standard 3550, not sure of the spline count though.

Other than nailing down this vibe problem i love the TKO600 in my bro's '03 i was leery at first of the taller 1st and 5th gear ratio but isn't bad at all and was shocked that the taller .64 5th pulls/generally speeds up faster than the old 3650's .68 ratio, though still a sluggish O/D as i love the close ratio .82 5th gear i use on my '92.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

Did you try your driveshaft swap yet? Just curious as to if there is an update on your car yet. I have not figured mine out but then again I have not had timeto mess with it yet.

7.3 auto 168,000 miles
Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have a TKO 600 in mine. I guess when I get it going, I'll have to give an update here. I hope I don't have the same problem.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756 View Post
I have a TKO 600 in mine. I guess when I get it going, I'll have to give an update here. I hope I don't have the same problem.
I'll be intererst in your 2-3 shift feedback too. Brad, did yours come with a billet TKO shifter?

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
I'll be intererst in your 2-3 shift feedback too. Brad, did yours come with a billet TKO shifter?
Yep.

I'll let you know on the other. I've said it before, but it looks like late September and it should be up and running. Just with some minor stuff left.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX View Post
I thought they all came with the billet TKO shifter. Did yours not come with one Brian?

7.3 auto 168,000 miles