StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Trade Goods > Product Review

Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
ujslost

Greg Weld Dragstars , now called 92 lite or something like that

Greg Welds wheels are ****in shit. I know I have a set.
I am not the only person I have found having this problem here. These wheels require an eccentric washer for our 5x 4.5 lug pattern. No problem right? WRONG. WHen you torque the lugnuts down, they eat into that washer. The washer turns with the lugnut agains the hole in the wheel. Still sounds ok right? WRONG. The problem is when you get ready to take the wheel off to say, do a brake job or put on some daily driver wheels or whatever. The lugnut eats away at the washer, and some how gets stuck on the lugnut and, which ****s up the lugnut. Then you cant hardly get the damn thing off your lugstud. And once you do get it to backoff somehow. You take a chance of this funny eccentric washer putting a huge ass gouge in the pretty polished face of your wheel.

Believe me I thought this was bullshit when I heard a guy complaining about it also. Until one day I tried to take my wheels off. Guess what it happened. Not to all the lugnuts but seems to happen to atleast 1 out of the 5.

So like the guy I heard about (also talked to him) I called greg weld up and they transfered me to a voice mail for their engineer. I have yet to hear from them and thats been close to a month now. About a week ago I attempted to email them thru their "support" section of their site. Still I have not heard anything back from them yet.

Besides the headache of these ****ing lugnuts and eccentric washers I love the wheels. But if you plan on taking these wheels off your vehicle alot. DO NOT BUY THEM!

I should get some pics of my lugnut next time I remove one.

Have any of you guys with these wheels, tried removing your wheels yet?
ujslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
qkjuicedpony
Dayuuuuuuum!!!!!

I had mine off about 20 times and never had an issue.

07 F350 dooly.....Tows my fifth wheel
qkjuicedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
ujslost

I was hoping you would respond with yours.

Thats weird. I know a dude on foureyedpride, and reading some on corral with problems.
ujslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
SlowJoe
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujslost View Post
Greg Welds wheels are ****in shit. I know I have a set.
I am not the only person I have found having this problem here. These wheels require an eccentric washer for our 5x 4.5 lug pattern. No problem right? WRONG. WHen you torque the lugnuts down, they eat into that washer. The washer turns with the lugnut agains the hole in the wheel. Still sounds ok right? WRONG. The problem is when you get ready to take the wheel off to say, do a brake job or put on some daily driver wheels or whatever. The lugnut eats away at the washer, and some how gets stuck on the lugnut and, which ****s up the lugnut. Then you cant hardly get the damn thing off your lugstud. And once you do get it to backoff somehow. You take a chance of this funny eccentric washer putting a huge ass gouge in the pretty polished face of your wheel.

Believe me I thought this was bullshit when I heard a guy complaining about it also. Until one day I tried to take my wheels off. Guess what it happened. Not to all the lugnuts but seems to happen to atleast 1 out of the 5.

So like the guy I heard about (also talked to him) I called greg weld up and they transfered me to a voice mail for their engineer. I have yet to hear from them and thats been close to a month now. About a week ago I attempted to email them thru their "support" section of their site. Still I have not heard anything back from them yet.

Besides the headache of these ****ing lugnuts and eccentric washers I love the wheels. But if you plan on taking these wheels off your vehicle alot. DO NOT BUY THEM!

I should get some pics of my lugnut next time I remove one.

Have any of you guys with these wheels, tried removing your wheels yet?
what kind of socket r u using?
WTB 1955 t-bird project
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
coupe
Super Moderator

It's not so much the wheel as it is the one size fits all bolt pattern. It's a PITA because inherently, that eccentric washer wants to spin...and it has a difficult time rotating in that oval hole, so it binds up all sorts of ways.

But hey; they're dirt-cheap...Whaddya expect.