StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 08:22 AM   #11
ujslost

Re: Spring Decisions

can you cut a rear spring though? arent they made where ya cant? and it fit in the saddle again. The front is differant the top of the spring is same diameter as rest of the spring. but the rear spring is smaller at the top and the bottom correct?
ujslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:32 AM   #12
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujslost
can you cut a rear spring though? arent they made where ya cant? and it fit in the saddle again. The front is differant the top of the spring is same diameter as rest of the spring. but the rear spring is smaller at the top and the bottom correct?
The rear spring bottom is a pig tail design, and you cannot cut that. You can cut the top of the rear spring with no problem.

Also the top of both the front and rear do not have a specific position detail. Actually onlt the front bottom does.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 AM   #13
ujslost

ok so the rear spring has the same diameter as the rest of the spring also (except for the pigtail which sets on the lower control arm? Thanks its been a while since i changed springs and wasnt 100% sure on the rear spring.
so how much to cut to achieve a 1.5 inch drop.
half a coil or 1 complete coil?
btw I have 4 banger springs in the rear, and stock v8s up front, they are rated differant so probly wouldnt cut as much out of a 4 banger spring as you would a v8 spring right?
I did this on a silverado once. and 1 coil took nearly 3 inches out, but this is a larger truck and heavier.
ujslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:27 AM   #14
86GT

I would have to agree, I would not cut the stock springs. I did it on mine and it rode like shit. It was way to soft and rolled bad. I then purchased and installed Motorsport C springs. It rides a tad stiffer than stock but handles much better.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
hevymtl
Beach Bum

I wouldnt cut the stockers. I would get Tommy's CC's and some Steeda sport springs.
hevymtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:04 PM   #16
Wicked
Friends

Send a message via AIM to Wicked

Blah...

I cut a full coil on the fronts on my 89 and had no problems. Lowered the front about 1-1.5 inches and gave it a nice rake...the back end was lower before this.

I would say, as easy as it is to do it and remove/install, I'd try it. If you don't like it, save the money for some diffferent springs.

Its easy for people to say buy this, buy that. But you won't know 'til you try it.

Work Car:
2005 Honda Odyssey
400 whp Turbo V6, 6-speed, full cage, H&R Suspension, Brembo Brakes
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:26 PM   #17
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked

I would say, as easy as it is to do it and remove/install, I'd try it.

Don't know what was different in your 89, but each fox I have put springs on is a freaking nightmare. The lower a-arms do not release enough to slide the springs in like they do on the 94 ups. Takes 2 people with prybars to get the fronts in.

Besides, all you gain with cutting coils is a 'look'. You don't get anywhere near the performance that any aftermarket spring has to offer.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
Wicked
Friends

Send a message via AIM to Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Don't know what was different in your 89, but each fox I have put springs on is a freaking nightmare. The lower a-arms do not release enough to slide the springs in like they do on the 94 ups. Takes 2 people with prybars to get the fronts in.

Besides, all you gain with cutting coils is a 'look'. You don't get anywhere near the performance that any aftermarket spring has to offer.
Hmm, I don't remember mine being hard. It was a while back though.

You're right, it will never handle as good as aftermarket springs. But its a cheap cosmetic mod in my book.

Work Car:
2005 Honda Odyssey
400 whp Turbo V6, 6-speed, full cage, H&R Suspension, Brembo Brakes
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #19
Craig K.
Nothing new here

Well, I only don't want to cut the OEM springs, just in case the car is ever worth anything, I am trying to save all the original parts.
I had thought about doing a cut job on some springs, but just more for a time issue decieded to go ahead and buy some instead. I have been saving for several months so now I have the money for them, I might as well do it.
I did look into cutting a bit, I have all the needed tools already, but the biggest factor would be the increase rates, and on the vert, I want a little softer ride, something that is just a touch hard than stock and thats about all.

So I have deceided to buy the M5300G springs, I can get them from www.johnbleakleyford.com for $198, the springs are made by Eibach, they have a 1.5" F/R drop, but I will most likely eliminate the front isolator to pick up another 1/4" drop or so.

I have also bought Tommy's C/C plates, and am looking at the Steeda .4" offset aluminum rack bushings.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #20
hevymtl
Beach Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked
Its easy for people to say buy this, buy that. But you won't know 'til you try it.
hevymtl is offline   Reply With Quote