StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
The heads will do nothing for you. But there's a big enough following for the 351C that you might stand to make some $green off of the motor and those heads.

If you just want to be able to say "It has a 351 Clevland in it," then I'd say go for it. But if you're really wanting to put down more power and for less money, then you're better off selling the stuff and going a different route. There's just way too many selections of hardware for the Windsor blocks and years of proven combinations to choose from.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
mrmustangconvert

but but thats heads that they ran in nascar back in the 70s and 80s
13.068 @ 102 with a 1.732 60 ft, 4:30 gears and drag radials, 2.5 inch exaust, x pipe w/ flowmasters, stock motor and trans
mrmustangconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

c heads

The guys here are telling you straight up. I ran a 351 cleveland for about 10 years in a 67 falcon sports coupe. and parts are either expensive or hard to find.if you have plenty of money go for it if not listen to these guys. and yes you can make one run with 4 v heads but you need to spin it very high. I had 1.29 60 foot times but had a 5500 loose stahl with 488 gears with 26 inch tires. and when you set it up to run good numbers. streetability is tossed out the window.
waypastcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustangconvert View Post
but but thats heads that they ran in nascar back in the 70s and 80s
But that doesn't mean that now, in 2007, they necessarily make the best street/strip motors. I wouldn't even say they made the best street/strip motors back then. A 351W based motor bored/stroked to over 400 cubic inches with a nice set of aluminum heads, a good intake, and even a mild cam will most likely perform just as good if not better while costing less. Not to mention with the aluminum heads it'll weigh a good bit less.

FWIW, I have a '79 Mercury Capri with a 351 "Super Cobra Jet" out of a Torino. When it was running, it was really stout over 3000 rpms. Since I have a spare block and a set of 4V closed chamber heads, I started looking into building it up. That's when I decided that the Cleveland was really a thing of the past. They can make big power, but they're typically not very streetable due to their high rpm nature.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #15
99LS1
*WWIP* Saving for Evo XXI

When I had my 73 it was pretty streetable aside from being loud. It really just depends on the setup. Unless you already have a cleveland setup stick with something else.

Although it is nice to pop the hood and sport the meaty Cleveland heads Lots of chevy guys mistook it for a 454. Man I miss that car.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #16
mrmustangconvert

yea well i was just wondering what the 351c heads were all about.i got an 84 mustang with a 351w in it and its a c9 casting and that car is awsome with some mods that i did to it. but i thought it would be intresting to build a clevland, especially when you see the size of the intake ports its just awsome. but the velosity for the had sucks so that takes up the bottom end tourque, but i also heard that you can spin it up as high as you want because there is hardly any airflow restriction.
13.068 @ 102 with a 1.732 60 ft, 4:30 gears and drag radials, 2.5 inch exaust, x pipe w/ flowmasters, stock motor and trans
mrmustangconvert is offline   Reply With Quote