Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #61
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Re: 93 Lightning Turbo Buildup - - Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771
. . . I'll make it sticky for a little while.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #62
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

Kocky will be back!

93Cobra#2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #63
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Hey this thread is a sticky now !!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #64
EZ SPEED
Friends

My TiAL 38mm wastegate came in today...very Cool !!

The ol' Farmtruck isnt supposed to Bling !!

This will be the shiniest part on the whole Truck !!!

EZ SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #65
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Nice looking piece there.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #66
Shorty
Pr0j3ct P1mp T1t3, y0!

this makes me want to ditch the KB plan for a Hellion.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #67
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
this makes me want to ditch the KB plan for a Hellion.
you would be happier if you did
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #68
ChipR4cam
You can call me mister.

KBs are for mod motors.
ChipR4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:13 AM   #69
99LS1
*WWIP* Saving for Evo XXI

Tial is good shit
Old 10-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #70
EZ SPEED
Friends

I thought I would post this for the Tuning information:

Quote:
Posted by Dave Pickrel “Icepick”
Well I finally got Jimmy Lightning's truck finished! My original plan was to do a bare minimum approach with the fuel and tuning like the supercharger companies do... This was an attempt to keep the costs down and avoid... switching injectors, MAF meter, computer tuning, etc... Well this plan didn't work! When I first got the truck running I tried the two pump trick with a 12-1 FMU... Like this the A/F would go rich about 10.5 when the FMU kicked in then it briefly run well with 11-12 A/F ratios and then it would lean out up top because the two pump trick could not keep up with "the pressure" the FMU wanted to make... So I installed a Walbro 255 high pressure inline... This solved the pressure issue but soon as the FMU kicked in the fuel pressure pegged 100psi and the truck fell on it's face! This is what I believe was happening...This turbo spools so fast and the MAF meter reads the massive airflow and tries to throw as much fuel in as it possibly can! Then the FMU kicks in and it is just not a combination that would ever work well... I kind of thought this might be be a problem going in but I thought I would give it a try because it seems to work "OK" with some of the superchargers... I believe that it is only possible because the boost comes in "so much slower" you don't get the massive "FMU spike" that you do with an instant boost turbo setup like this... Anyways, It was clear to me what needed to be done at this point... Bigger injectors, different MAF meter and a custom tune... This also required Jimmy Lightning to spend more money which is something I didn't want him to have to do but it had to be done if he wanted this truck to run right! Once I got his approval I called Don and Rob Lasota to get a plan together to get this rig straightened out! After talking with them I decided on a 42# injectors and a Gen 2 Lightning 90mm MAF meter and of course removal of the FMU... Don was nice enough to stop by my shop one day last week and give me a base tune so I could start the truck and get on the trailer with the new injectors and MAF... This evening I meet the Lasota boys at the dyno and within about one hour they had this rig making real nice power and driving like a stocker! The dyno results are as follows...

326 RWHP @ 9psi and 379 RWHP @ 13psi. This was on a "Mustang" dyno which are known to read about 15% lower than "Dynojet" numbers... Converted numbers would be 375 RWHP @ 9psi and 436 RWHP @ 13psi... All runs were done with 93 octane in the rear tank, 100 octane in the front (Two pump trick in effect) and 18 degrees of total advance... I think it is safe to say that this turbo setup has just about doubled the horsepower that it was making before the turbo installation... We also found the limits of the Lightning MAF... At 13psi it pegged 5 volts "just before the end of the run"... I'm totally convinced that this little T-70 turbo could make over 500 RWHP with race gas, 18 or 19 psi of boost and the correct tune... This is a completely "stock motor" I'm taking about! This is not my truck and I'm not going for any "glory runs" so it was time to head home happy with results as they are...

I drove the truck home from Columbus tonight to put some miles on it and make sure everything is working correctly... The truck drives like a stocker except for when you hit the go pedal... You can be doing 70MPH in OD cruising down the highway and just put your foot in it "slightly" the boost comes in instantly and will make 5-6 psi driving like this! It will move around an 18 wheeler like it was parked at 1/4 throttle! The part throttle response, HP and torque it makes at low RPM's amazing! It would make a die hard Kenne Bell lover "envious"... Anyways that's the story... I have all the fixtures made to make and produce these kits now so if someone is interested a setup like this all the information about it can be found here... http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthrea...threadid=102295 in the next couple of days I will add some sound clips of the exhaust, turbo, more info, etc.

General info about JimmyLightings truck...

As it was brought to me, Stock motor and injectors, Full Bassani exhaust, PSP Mass air (VEX1) computer, Jim said the best run with the truck like this was something like a 15.2 @ 89 I believe which would equate to about 220 RWHP...

Current state, Pickrel Perfomance turbo pipe kit, includes all hot and cold parts and full 3.5 single exhaust system... Master Power T-70 turbo with the stock .68 A/R turbine housing, Powerstroke intercooler, 42# injectors, 90 mm Lightning MAF, 255 inline pump, two pump trick and Custom SCT tune done by Don and Rob from Lasota Racing Technologies...

Quote:
Posted by “Jimmy Lighting”

I made it down to LaSota Racing Technologies today to get the SCT BA 2400 MAF meter and a re-tune. The MAF is no longer pegging out, the A/F Ratios are good, and it is running really nice.

The numbers (at about 15 psi of boost) on the Mustang Dynamometer were: 400.2 rwhp @ 5,250 RPM and the Max torque was 460.9 @ 3,750 RPM.
Quote:
Posted by “Don95vert” Co-Owner of Lasota Racing Technologies

You have to remember that this Mustang dyno has been recently calibrated and compared to Dynojets in the Columbus area and shows 15% less than the Dynojets - so thatwould make his power on a Dynojet about 460rwhp - which is terrific.
EZ SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote