StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Project Cars
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
LeeH

The white car

Well I think the only person on here that knows this car is Dale but tonight at 9pm she rumbled to life after about 6 months of being scattered. I pulled the T5 to go through it and found more problems than I expected, So I decided since it was going to be down a little longer I would go ahead and go through the engine too.

What I found was 3 broken head bolts and the ring grooves on all 8 pistons were beat out, It had 2 spun cam bearings and the crank was junk. Well after checking the cam bearing bores and finding them to be okay it got another set of pistons, Edy RPM heads 60229, Edy Perf intake, 1.7 TFS rockers, FMS 36# inj., PMAS 75mm, BBK 65mm T-body, BBK AFPR, PowerBond balancer, Another crank, Rings/bearings, ARP main studs, ARP head bolts, Flow Tech LT headers and an S-Trim(well everything is installed but the head unit).
The transmission needed a countershaft(aka cluster gear), Mainshaft, Input shaft and 3rd gear along with bearings. I found a T5 out of a 2002 V6 stang in a wrecking yard so I bought it, I can do an article on converting one to a fox application. LOL
I tore it down and replaced the bearings, Drilled the mainshaft for the speedometer gear clip, swapped the tail housing, Installed a new input shaft and front bearing retainer(The 94 up T5s used the same 5/8 longer input and longer sleeve bearing retainer). The V6 T5s used the 300ft lb WC V8 gear set, It consists of the 068 cluster which is the 300# gear set(also same as the 065) however the Tremec website claim it to be 240# which has to be a misprint according to the gear set used. The transmission I converted was a TTET1798(tag number), So just be aware that these transmissions are keepers if you run across one in a wrecking yard.

Anyway without the head unit installed it rumbled to life and seems to be running pretty good, I have my initial timing set at 14* until I can go play with it. I am going to replace my A/C compressor clutch since the bearings are fubar and weld up a few exhaust leaks before I go run it around town, Oh and put my Drag Lites off the green car on it.
90GT
93GT
LeeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

It is about time :)

Glad I got to hear it run last night.......finally!!!!
By the way I made a diagram for the vac. lines that you called about, I will get that into a pdf for future reference.

Go ahead and do a write up on the changes that are required on the tranny maybe we can put them in the tech section or something. Someone will be asking about this one of these days.....
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

Yes...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
mrmustangconvert

13.068 @ 102 with a 1.732 60 ft, 4:30 gears and drag radials, 2.5 inch exaust, x pipe w/ flowmasters, stock motor and trans
mrmustangconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
89five0Gt

hell why not....
89five0Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
LeeH

Sorry my phone doesn't have much memory, I will get a few of the engine even though its far from clean. I am going to hide the wiring and polish the valve covers at some point but due to some new city ordinances I had to get it running or face fines.
90GT
93GT
Old 09-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Good.
Now that you have it running you can come to track day next month
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
LeeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
Good.
Now that you have it running you can come to track day next month
LOL, There are too many hurricanes making landfall between here and there.
90GT
93GT
Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Dale McPeters
5.0 Block/Walnut Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
LOL, There are too many hurricanes making landfall between here and there.
But they will be over by track day.

The car is starting to look good now. It looks a lot better with those wheels on it compared to the other ones.

By the way I will have to send you a picture with the new cobra r's on the '93 cobra.
I also did some digging and found my binks paint gun last night. Now I can spot paint a few things.

Last edited by Dale McPeters; 09-08-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Dale McPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
LeeH

Well I had a draw on the battery and found the regulator stuck, When I pulled it apart one of the brushes was broken. This is a new alternator but I bought it as a spare a few years ago, On a side note you would be suprised how many people that work in "parts stores" that don't know how to check an alt.
The guy at the parts store tells me he has an 85 4 banger coupe that he's gonna drop a 302 in, He then tells me he has a donor car and that it's a 82 Capri. I tell him the Capri is worth more but he tells me it's not as nice as the stang, What he described to me is an 82 Black Magic Capri(can we all say fuggin idiot).
90GT
93GT