StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires

Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Wall96cobra
ooooo cake!!!

Budget mini tub

I'm looking in to a budget mini tub for the 67 firebird. The wheel houses have some rust so I figured while I had to replace them I might as well mini tub it so I can run wider wheels and tires later on. DSE sells a kit that is $1320 but still doesn't come with everything so I'm looking at other options. I have thought about the budget tubs from jegs or summit but some say the metal may be too thin for the street and others have used trailer fenders and said they are cheap and the steel is thick. So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with mini tubing or knows any tricks that would be helpful?
Wall96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
militarymustang88gt

jegs. it sell the tubs for like 90 something bucks.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

My god the trailer fenders would be ridiculous heavy. How far are you going to go???the frame will limit you. I've seen them done by cutting and moving the factory wheelwell inboard...then simply welding a strip of sheet-steel in place of the gap. Once you seam-seal it and then paint, it actually looks pretty good. Tedious work.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Wall96cobra
ooooo cake!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
My god the trailer fenders would be ridiculous heavy. How far are you going to go???the frame will limit you. I've seen them done by cutting and moving the factory wheelwell inboard...then simply welding a strip of sheet-steel in place of the gap. Once you seam-seal it and then paint, it actually looks pretty good. Tedious work.
Yeah if mine were in good shape I would just add a strip but they need to be replaced. I'm only going to the frame, I don't want to cut into the frame.
Wall96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote