StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipR4cam View Post
I absolutely hate the spec stage 2 in my bullitt. The chatter is aweful. I beat the crap out of the clutch this past weekend...the chatter was gone. It is much more liveable now.

I think SPECs hold power well and the pedal feel is good, but the chatter absolutely kills the fun of a street car.
What's the verdict then? And did you resurface the flywheel when you installed it?

Quote:
...throwing expensive, name brand stuff at your car dont make it fast, thats rice mentality.
I believe alot of people might beg to differ...and fast is relative.

mrmustangconvert,

If it's just 12's you're after, you could even use a SPEC stage 1. It's the same pressure plate as a stage 2 or 3, but with an organic disk.
And remember this discount: http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=7134
Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
ChipR4cam
You can call me mister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
What's the verdict then? And did you resurface the flywheel when you installed it?

I believe alot of people might beg to differ...and fast is relative.

mrmustangconvert,

If it's just 12's you're after, you could even use a SPEC stage 1. It's the same pressure plate as a stage 2 or 3, but with an organic disk.
And remember this discount: http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=7134
I didn't install it. But I did resurface the clutch at track day. I like it now.

I seems to me that SPEC makes a great clutch, but they are not as forgiving as other clutches when it comes to the flywheels surface.
ChipR4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
coupe
Super Moderator

True...here's why: There's a wave-spring in stock clutches, a King-Cobra, and our Stage 1. It's between the organic linings on the actual disk. It allows a little cushion on engagement, but also allows the material to conform somewhat to a mis-surfaced flywheel (up to about .005). Our other disks are around .001 to .003 within a perfect plane and do not "give" or conform to anything but a flat surface. That is why the break-in is more critical on them...to get all the surfaces to be in the same plane. That's also why some clutches smooth out after murdering them...it wipes of the tiny high-spots.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #14
ChipR4cam
You can call me mister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
True...here's why: There's a wave-spring in stock clutches, a King-Cobra, and our Stage 1. It's between the organic linings on the actual disk. It allows a little cushion on engagement, but also allows the material to conform somewhat to a mis-surfaced flywheel (up to about .005). Our other disks are around .001 to .003 within a perfect plane and do not "give" or conform to anything but a flat surface. That is why the break-in is more critical on them...to get all the surfaces to be in the same plane. That's also why some clutches smooth out after murdering them...it wipes of the tiny high-spots.
I'll remember that if I get one that chatters again. Beat it up and it will smooth out. Well that or crap out. I'll take my chances.
ChipR4cam is offline   Reply With Quote