StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

5 lug lincoln?

K guys I am kinda lost here.will the 5 lug front disk setup off a 86 lincoln town car work on a fox. Also the rear disk. I have chance to get one and wondering. I don't need but if I can sell or trade it to make someone a good deal I thinkn bout gettn it. Thx clyde
NORTH EAST ALABAMA STANGS
waypastcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I can't remember the years they were madel, but I am pretty sure it has to be a Mark VII for the parts to interchange.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Did you visit this page? http://www.sn95brakes.com/5lug.php
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 02-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

tried to but for some reason my browser will not load it today @##$$$$#@@# dag umm comp.thx
Old 02-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Here is what is stated in regards to the front brake swap:

Quote:
3. 5 Lug Conversion Options:

This page is mostly geared towards the stock 4 lug wheels and stock '87-93 GT/LX wheels. Hence the "budget" name to the page. Here are some of your options for converting to 5 lug:

Cheap way:
-For the 79 v8, 82-86 Mustangs, and 87-93 4 cyls, you can use the 4cyl 83-88 Ranger rotors.
-For the front 87-93 v8 cars, use the rotors from a mid 80's Lincoln Continental, Lincoln Mark VII (85-91), or '84-'86 SVO. For the 79-86 and 87-93 4cyl cars, use the 83-92 4cyl Ranger front rotors. This will keep the cost down and allow you to keep the stock front brakes. You can buy the rotors for about $40-60 each. You an also purchase after market front rotors like the Power Slot brand in 5 lug. These cost about $99 each.

**Important note here! The SVO/Lincoln front rotors will NOT work with the Ford '98 & '99+ Cobra, Y2K Cobra R wheels, and '97+ GT 17" wheels. Most of the wheels will mount up ('98 cobra and the Bullitt wheels will not), but you will not be able to mount the center cap due to the larger dust cap on the rotor. To run these wheels, you need to convert over to the SN95 front brakes (this includes spindles, rotors, hubs and calipers). Alternatively you can use a wheel spacer, but it is not recommended. The Lincoln/SVO rotors will work for the' 95 Cobra R wheel, 16" SN95 Pony wheel, and '99+ 15" & 16" wheel since they have a different center design and cap. If the center of the wheel is recessed, the Lincoln/SVO dust rotor will most likely be to large for the center cap of the wheel.

-The 1995 Ford Cobra R wheel comes in two different offsets, 24 mm and 36 mm. The original Cobra R wheel, the R58, has a 24 mm backspacing which is good for all four corners of an SN-95 car. The R58 also fits well in front of a Fox body car that has the Cobra brake upgrade. But the rear of a Fox M2300-K car requires use a later model, the M179, which has 36 mm of backspacing, and therefore places the wheel 12 mm further inboard to clear the fender well. The R58 and M179 wheels are now discontinued by Ford! Keep this in mind with your conversions. I would suggest to keep the stock rear track to so you can run the aftermarket copies of the R58s on all 4 corners.
Rear Disc
Quote:
Lincoln Mark7 rear disc conversion using stock length ranger axles:
This is a rear 5 lug disc conversion using 11.375" vented rotors. Or you could use the stock axles and redrill the rotors for 4 lug. The stock Lincoln Mark7 LSC and SVO Mustang use a rear axle that is 1.25" wider per side than the 87-93 Mustangs. This causes issues with rubbing on the rear tires and requires you to run special offset wheels. Fox body Saleens also used this rear disc setup.
But you can "flip" the brackets and with some welding and Ranger/Aerostar axles use the rear disc with the stock track width! Black306 is the person that has the info on this! You need the Ranger/Aerostar axles and the brake parts off a 85-91 Lincoln Mark7 (caliper brackets, rotors, calipers, bolts and hoses). This does take some welding to complete, so be prepared. The only tricky part is to get the Ebrakes working with the flipped brackets. You will need to swap the brake cable brackets to the opposite side and bend them and the lever as needed. Then if you need a bit more clearance, remove the shock from the bracket, then remove the shock bracket from the axle. Turn the shock 90* and bolt it directly to the axle housing.

More information to come! Check Next Level Motorsports for the how to.

If you do find a Lincoln Mark7 LSC in the yard, also get the front rotors, 73mm calipers, master cylinder and proportioning valve. You can all use this in the 87-93 V8 Mustang for a cheap 5 lug upgrade to the front. Get the spindles if you have a 4 cyl to convert over to the larger 11" front brakes. But be warned that with the front Lincoln rotors, you will be limited to the Ford OEM wheels that you can run!
Hope that helps Clyde
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
Old 02-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
waypastcrazy
ADDICTED TO SMALL BLOCKS

thats what i needed thx man i am ready to trash this dinosaur of a comp.just to dang stingy to turn the ben franklins loose since shuttn the business down.