StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

SS Brakelines?

Is anyone using stainless steel brake lines up front on their cars? My car just doesn't seem to stop all that good to me. I have never changed my brake fluid but it doesn't seem like it would cause the car much braking issues. I was thinking maybe some ss brakelines might help
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: SS Brakelines?

I have on my 93. they are suppose to make a big difference but I don't know. I bought a kit (that included the lines) that took my front brakes from a single piston calper, 10.8in rotor to a dual piston, 13 inch rotor like what is OEM on your car.

No more than s/s lines are, i say go ahead and buy them and get some performance friction z pads and put them on while doing the lines. You should see a difference
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
Sendero
Im gonna show her my...

While you are doing the SS brake lines, I *HIGHLY* suggest adding some Russell Speed Bleeders (clicky). These make it super easy to bleed your brakes.

Whenever you undo your stock lines, you'll lose enough fluid to warrant changing it out altogether. Ford "Super Blue" High Performance DOT3 brake fluid is a good choice. Its available at your local Ford dealer for only a couple of dollars more than cheap vatozone fluid. You should be suspect of anything that comes in a plastic bottle, ask for the metal bottle stuff.

All that should stiffen up your pedal nicely. Just make sure you turn your rotors and get a good set of pads!

"I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." T. Nugent
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." R. Heinlein
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Unknown
Sendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Craig K.
Nothing new here

You should definatly flush your brake fluid. If you have any air or water in the fluid (if it's original it probably does).

Also as Lee pointed out, a good set of pads would be the next step

Lastly I would suggest the SS lines, unless your OEM rubbers are craked one the outside layer, then go ahead and change them with some SS ones.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
99LS1
*WWIP* Saving for Evo XXI

I have them too, they work well. I also upgraded my rotors/pads/calipers at the same time, so I can't tell what did what. But if you plan on running high perf. brakes (or abusing your stock ones) it's not a bad idea. Stock rubber ones expand over time and give you a mushy pedal. Increased pedal pressure + heat also expands stock lines which /could/ cause a crack, depending on how bad your stock lines are.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #6
rtusnake
Halfshaft Killer

well the lines aren't in bad shape but my fluid has never been changed and the body of the car probably has about 140k miles. I believe i will get some ss lines and change the fluid in a weekend project in a month or two. I already have hawk racing pads
rtusnake is offline   Reply With Quote