StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Trade Goods > Product Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
coupe
Super Moderator

Re: Spec Throwout Bearing

I hear about them, but never have driven one in person.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 PM   #12
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
Matt (I think) and I are referring to the geometry in this case only. Not the noisy reputation that the Spec bearings have
Yes, I realize that. Hence in my post I said "this case aside". Because Joker made the reference about the noisy t/o bearing in one of his posts. And MAtt said they were Ford t/o bearings. I stated that I have never heard a Ford clutch with a Ford t/o bearing be noisy. Then Matt said he found out that they were Fed Mog bearings........oh geez, I'm not typing all this. There's a reason why I made the post and it was a topic spoken about before.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

I had my stock one do that in my car, got so hot that it "blued" the steel and the bearing retainer. Lots of people make simple mistake of riding with a foot resting on the clutch, you may not think that just the little bit of weight from your foot touching the pedal would cause movement but it does. I think there is more wrong with that clutch as well. UVBNHAD had his TB go out on his 04 and he does not have the high of milage on his, I even think there was a TSB from Ford about it.

I have a SPEC and in the last year have been thru 2 TB only because when I installed the 331 I put in a new one, neither made noise or looked in bad shape.

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #14
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756
And MAtt said they were Ford t/o bearings...Then Matt said he found out that they were Fed Mog bearings
Actually, he said it was the same bearing used by Ford, not that Ford makes the bearing. That's the same thing he's said in 1500 other SPEC clutch threads where people say the same thing about noisy TOBs.

TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #15
coupe
Super Moderator

Again; I have never personally witnessed a noisy bearing except for a stocker with high-miles.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #16
NightHawk756

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus
Actually, he said it was the same bearing used by Ford, not that Ford makes the bearing. That's the same thing he's said in 1500 other SPEC clutch threads where people say the same thing about noisy TOBs.

Holy crap man. I can't even explain why I made a post without someone acting like I'm blaming someone for something. I don't blame Matt for anything he says. I wasn't even the first person to say anything about the noisy tob's. Joker did. Then Lee even said something. But when I mention something about it, I get flamed. Excuse the piss out of me for making a staement about something that two other people made mention about prior to me, that has "apparently been talked about extensively that I wasn't privy to.

I haven't seen or even been a part of these "1500 other Spec clutch threads" so lay off the dead horse.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #17
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756
Holy crap man. I can't even explain why I made a post without someone acting like I'm blaming someone for something. I don't blame Matt for anything he says. I wasn't even the first person to say anything about the noisy tob's. Joker did. Then Lee even said something. But when I mention something about it, I get flamed. Excuse the piss out of me for making a staement about something that two other people made mention about prior to me, that has "apparently been talked about extensively that I wasn't privy to.

I haven't seen or even been a part of these "1500 other Spec clutch threads" so lay off the dead horse.
I never said anyone blamed anyone else for anything. All I did was point out that Matt never said that SPEC used a TOB made by Ford.

I'm done now.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
NightHawk756

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeanyus
I never said anyone blamed anyone else for anything. All I did was point out that Matt never said that SPEC used a TOB made by Ford.

I'm done now.
Well excuse me. I didn't type it right......Matt said it was the same one used by Ford. Is that better?? Like I said, I wasn't the first to even talk about the tob's, not even the second, but when I do, my post gets scrutenized and I get flamed because this was supposedly talked about before but I wasn't a part of it.

My concern was the fact that the Ford or I'm sorry the bearing "made" for Ford is metal. And the tob's I've seen for Spec are the plastic ones Matt talked about...err..well, let me quote what he said so I don't get flamed for mis-qouting him..."We also have the composite case-bearing (commonly called the "plastic" one)". That was the difference between the two that I had noticed and wondered how they were the same bearings with the different construction.

I'm done now too. C-Ya
Old 12-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #19
coupe
Super Moderator

Good grief.

Brad have you had a noisy bearing? Have you driven one noisy?
Has anyone here had the problem? Reason I ask is that I think the "multiple" complaints of noisy TOB's stem from a select few...it gets blown out of proportion like most everything on the intraweb.

I know you aren't dogging me. Neither is Joker. I am not SPEC Clutch. But I just am trying to get an idea of what the culprit is like anyone else would. Thanks for the input.

The dead horse has been sent to Elmer's Glue.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #20
NightHawk756

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
Good grief.

Brad have you had a noisy bearing? Have you driven one noisy?
Has anyone here had the problem? Reason I ask is that I think the "multiple" complaints of noisy TOB's stem from a select few...it gets blown out of proportion like most everything on the intraweb.

I know you aren't dogging me. Neither is Joker. I am not SPEC Clutch. But I just am trying to get an idea of what the culprit is like anyone else would. Thanks for the input.

The dead horse has been sent to Elmer's Glue.
No, I haven't driven one that was noisy. My Spec clutch didn't stay in my car much past break-in, so I didn't get the chance. But, yes I have heard other cars that were noisy. 94FiveO's was, Joker's was, and I have two other friends that both told me of their noisy Spec tob's of which one I heard myself. So yes, I have been privy to some. Like I said before, it might be something that needs tobe looked at.

I'm the bad guy because I was the THIRD person to say something about the tob's in this very thread. I'm growing tired of the attitude i get when I post. But, maybe that's the idea.