StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
EZ SPEED
Friends

My LFest06 / Lightning Saga - - - - - Part 2

Part 2

Part 1 was a lot of cleaning and detailing,

Now lets go back in time . . . . 4 weeks ago.

Cleaning and detailing were finished, But now it was time to fire it up and drive around a little to make sure there were no leaks or problems.
It cranked the first try and ran very well, better than I expected since I moved the MAF sensor, and changed every piece of the cold side piping.
I drove it down the road a few miles to the car wash to rinse off all the dust from the past 6 weeks, then headed back home.
On my way back home I went to my little “test and tune” road and was going to see how well it ran at full throttle and see how close the tune was.

I rolled into the throttle and started watching the air/fuel gauge to make sure that moving the cold side pipes didn’t alter the A/F ratio too much from the safe tune I had before.

The next few actions passed by in a split second.

As the rpm’s started rising I felt a strange shudder through the gas pedal but the A/F looked okay, so I immediately looked at the boost gauge next and saw the horror . . . the needle swung past 25 psi and I saw 27 psi before I could lift my foot . . . at this exact moment is when I heard a “Pop” and then the cab of the truck was silent. I looked up into the rear view mirror to see a cloud of white smoke and my heart suddenly felt heavy in my chest.

Luckily I had enough momentum to coast into a parking lot and just sat there for a moment hoping that it was a head gasket, but I knew better. I got out of the truck and looked underneath and found oil and coolant everywhere along with a couple of holes in the oil pan . . .yep, I blew the engine.

What went wrong . . . .

In 6 weeks of my attention to detail with cleaning, painting, powder coating, polishing, rebuilding wiring harnesses, etc. I ‘thought’ I hooked up the vacuum lines to the wastegate correctly (probably the only lines / wires that I didn’t label) but I obviously didn’t, hence the wastegate didn’t open and the turbo kept making boost until something let loose.
I knew this was possible . . . but never thought in a million years that I would be so careless.

Lets pause for a moment of silence and to wipe the tears away . . . . .

R.I.P.
211,000 mile stock 351

Normally a STUPID thing like I just did would be a secret for eternity . . . a secret to take to my grave what an IDIOT I was.

But . . . .

With so many of us swapping to turbo, I think it is VERY important for us all to learn from my HUGE mistake.

So here I am . . . I really put myself in a bad spot. It was now a little less than 6 weeks till Lightning Fest and I just blew up my engine in the Lightning that I planned on driving for the 1600 mile roundtrip.

From the holes in the oil pan I pretty much knew from my experience blowing up the engine in my 03L 3 years ago that there would be nothing left to salvage of the old engine. Lets not forget that everything on the engine had 211,000 miles on it (waterpump, heads, balancer, flywheel, etc.) was the fact that I knew if would be a stretch to find another engine block to send to the machine shop and get it back in time to assemble, along with all the other stuff I wanted to do.

I normally build all my own engines, but with nothing salvageable to build, and no time to look for parts.
I decided that the only chance I had of getting the Lightning back on the road in time for LFest would be to order a complete longblock. So I cleaned out my 401k plan at work (what the Hell . . . its ONLY money) and got on the phone (more on the new Engine in Part 4)

Amazingly enough . . . the GT40 iron heads survived without even a scratch to the valves. I guess when the rods broke they took out the camshaft and the lifters fell down and the pushrods also, so that the valves never opened for a piston to hit them.
If you will notice in the pics that the camshaft is in 10 pieces . . . yes 10
Quite a few wristpins were pulled out of the pistons leaving the piston tops in the bores (very strange)

I know you are wanting to see the damage pics (hope you don’t have a weak stomach . . . ha ha )

So here are the pics:

EZ SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
EZ SPEED
Friends

Old 09-10-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Holy crap at the block carnage!! Not to mention the cam. WOW.

So, what's the specs on the new longblock?? I know you said you would talk about that in part 4. I can't wait though!

So, who all is going to turbo? Just wondering who and what setups they're using.

Last edited by NightHawk756; 09-10-2006 at 07:43 AM.
NightHawk756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
SvoBrown

I was lucky when I did the same thing. (30 psi)I only broke a ring on the 3 cyclinder.

That was a hugh pile of everything under the hood. Sorry to see so much work go down like that. You did get many miles out of it tho.

Time to start up the new game plan!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
EZ SPEED
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756 View Post

So, what's the specs on the new longblock?? I know you said you would talk about that in part 4. I can't wait though!
I plan on posting part 3 tomorrow (Monday) and then part 4 on Tuesday . . so you will just have to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvoBrown View Post
I was lucky when I did the same thing. (30 psi)I only broke a ring on the 3 cyclinder.

That was a hugh pile of everything under the hood. Sorry to see so much work go down like that. You did get many miles out of it tho.

Time to start up the new game plan!
30psi WOW !
Yeah, the tears have been wiped away....time to move on to bigger and better.
EZ SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756 View Post

So, who all is going to turbo? Just wondering who and what setups they're using.
As of right now I plan on designing a either a single t70 kit or twin t-4x's for the 93 between now and next spring
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
asilver2001gt
Dr Rob

Send a message via AIM to asilver2001gt
the "el destructo" title given to chip should be reevaluated, i'm nominating Eric as the new "el destructo"...

2006 Trailblazer SS:
TrickFlow 215's
Comp Cam 591/598
Fast 102
FLT Level VI

The DD
asilver2001gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
SvoBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilver2001gt View Post
the "el destructo" title given to chip should be reevaluated, i'm nominating Eric as the new "el destructo"...
I had forgotten about that one. Good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ SPEED
EZ SPEED
Boost Kills .

Last edited by SvoBrown; 09-10-2006 at 02:01 PM.
SvoBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Damn! When you blow one up, you don't play around.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #10
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Yep, I do believe it's broken

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote