StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
SkurdalenFox

boiled brake fluid and flat spot-ed tyres

I went to a informal little autocross last weekend. Since there were only a few of people, I got to run the course over and over without stopping. After half a dozen laps my brake pedal starting getting shorter and shorter. There was a straight part in the course. I got up to ~ 70, then had to brake hard to make a couple tight turns. After half a dozen laps my brake pedal starting getting shorter and shorter. As I hit the braking zone again, my ABS failed, and I locked the tires. I stopped and my brake fluid was boiling, and the pads were smoking.

I'm not sure why the ABS failed. It started working again after the brakes cooled down.

Anyhow, here's the damage cause by the heat and the wheel lockup.

I flushed the brake fluid. I had put new fluid in the day before. The fluid was bright green. Weird.

Do the rotors look okay? There is no pulsating if I touch the brakes at speed.

Here's a tire. You cannot tell from the photo, but they're flat spot-ed. I trimmed the chunks off the leading edges of the tread blocks. I also moved the fronts to the rear. On the way home, with the fronts still on the front, there was much vibration. Now that the fronts are on the back, there is no vibration. Will the damaged tires re-round themselves? Or, am I looking at buying some new rubber?