StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

need some opinions

i was wo0ndering im gonna have to pull the motor out of my car any way and was wonderiong in a ddition to fixing any oil leak i was thinkin a rebuild or a cheap stroker kit i dont have a shit load of cash but what would yall do i dont have to get it done by any certain time so time is no big deal but cash is tight so post up your opinions and anything yall have for sale that might help me out or make my car a lil nicer i was thinkin about tradin my motorcycle for a good built stroker motor or a nice good horepower 302

thanks guys
taylor
Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Maintenance before mods. Get things in working order before worrying about making more power IMO.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

i mean i am gonna fix whats wrong but why am i gonna do all the work of pulling the motor when i can rebuild it the way i want it im not pressed for a vehicle and all the mustang is gonna do is sit any way i have just looked at the car alot over the past few months and relized that alot of thing about the car have been redneck engineered and i would like to fix these thing now since its gonna be down for a while anyway i dont trust anything about the way the previouse owner built this car the motor was "rebuilt" 2 years ago i have been to the strip 2 times in the car. a good rebuild motor should not burn oil through the rings and smoke on take off while im in there straghtnin out the mess i might as well upgrade because im gonna do it one day anyway
Old 04-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
BAD INT

coupe has a 3.25 stroke crank new in box laying around just pick up some rods and pistons.
BAD INT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

cool ill see what i might be able to do
Old 04-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
SlowJoe
Mind Blowing

for the power a 8.2 deck block will hold i would do a 306 with good rod bolts and a set of heads and ride!
WTB 1955 t-bird project
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1 View Post
i mean i am gonna fix whats wrong but why am i gonna do all the work of pulling the motor when i can rebuild it the way i want it im not pressed for a vehicle and all the mustang is gonna do is sit any way i have just looked at the car alot over the past few months and relized that alot of thing about the car have been redneck engineered and i would like to fix these thing now since its gonna be down for a while anyway i dont trust anything about the way the previouse owner built this car the motor was "rebuilt" 2 years ago i have been to the strip 2 times in the car. a good rebuild motor should not burn oil through the rings and smoke on take off while im in there straghtnin out the mess i might as well upgrade because im gonna do it one day anyway
Well if you don't mind it being taken apart a little while longer go for it. You said you didn't have a lot of money to put into it and that a few other things needed to be fixed, so I personally would do a "budget" 306 or something and spend the rest of the money on other things. Sounds like you already have your mind made up, though, and you're just looking for someone to validate what you want to do.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
EHardy1971
Trunk Monkey

Horsepower is a helluva drug,you always want more. But all BS aside Taylor,you'd really be better off just fixing the oil pump and getting her back on the road. Once you start tearing the engine apart, without already having the funds set aside to do a buildup,you're looking at a long road ahead. Mine sat for 3 years with the engine and tranny yanked out while I built up my 306 piece by piece. As soon as you get some money to do some work on it,something ALWAYS comes up and kicks you in the ass! Just some food for thought,and I know I'm not the only one here that's been down that road.
06 TBSS
EHardy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
tayzoid1
5.slo stanger

well i guess your right eric i probably would be better if i just fixed the leaks and oil pump and get it runnin i can always throw a set of heads at it while its in the car i am just dumbfounded why this new of a motor is burnin oil and sometimes smokin and sometimes not it defies logic
Old 04-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1 View Post
well i guess your right eric i probably would be better if i just fixed the leaks and oil pump and get it runnin i can always throw a set of heads at it while its in the car i am just dumbfounded why this new of a motor is burnin oil and sometimes smokin and sometimes not it defies logic
Were the heads rebuilt as well or just the short block?