StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
thegiecks

Send a message via Yahoo to thegiecks
Exclamation Ft. Lewis, WA area needs help!

I HAVE A DILEMMA!!
I recently swaped a caurberated 5.0 for an EFI 5.0 but ill be damned if i could figure out how to hook the damn thing up right. I have never wired anything more than a plug in a socket, so im clueless. I have 2 complee harnesses, and the computers to run it.

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANY INFO ON THIS SUBJECT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!
Or if anyone is near me, if you can call me and possible give me a hand, i have the leftover motor parts for your troubles. All I want to do is take the best of the 2 motors, make 1 good one, and you can have the rest! If your interested, e-mail me at
thegiecks@yahoo.com and i will give you my phone number then.

Will
thegiecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
coupe
Super Moderator

Re: Ft. Lewis, WA area needs help!

Hey Will,

Most of us are in the Southeast but it should not be too difficult.

I know two places that might help out but they're closer to Portland:
Blue Oval Performance, in Lacenter, WA (360) 993-1745

Or Performance Systems NW in Clackamas, OR (503) 209-6514 ask for Dana.
They're a pretty good shop.

Matt from SPEC sent you.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
joker
Friends

A bit more information might help. What year is the car? What year is your computer harness, dash harness, tail harness and all that stuff from. Also, is it a speed density or mass air setup? 99% of people go mass air, but if you somehow got a speed density computer harness it has to be altered to work with a mass air setup. Other than that my best recomendation is to get a buddy with a stock efi 5.0 so that you will have something to reference as far as sensor and wiring locations. Trust me it is hard to start from ground zero if the have no f'ing clue what you are doing, but take your time, dont get too agravated and it will all come together. Just pray your car isnt like mine was and some idiot cut a bunch of harnesses, because then you go in to a whole different world of issues.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker
A bit more information might help. What year is the car? What year is your computer harness, dash harness, tail harness and all that stuff from. Also, is it a speed density or mass air setup? 99% of people go mass air, but if you somehow got a speed density computer harness it has to be altered to work with a mass air setup. Other than that my best recomendation is to get a buddy with a stock efi 5.0 so that you will have something to reference as far as sensor and wiring locations. Trust me it is hard to start from ground zero if the have no f'ing clue what you are doing, but take your time, dont get too agravated and it will all come together. Just pray your car isnt like mine was and some idiot cut a bunch of harnesses, because then you go in to a whole different world of issues.
+1

Give us some background on the car and what you are trying to do
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
streetstang88

i should have wireing diagram on mitchell on demand ...just got to figure out how to post it or send it to you ...like the others said need more info on what you have
NEEDS MORE COWBELL
streetstang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
vristang

I am in the area and may be able to help, but the last thing I need is more stang parts in my garage

In all honesty, the other guys here will be able to provide just as much help via the internet as I could in person. And my schedule won't help much either.

I think Autozone has online wiring diagrams of our cars (but maybe it was another parts store?)

As mentioned throw up as many details as you know, and we will do the best we can to help.

jason
vristang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
joker
Friends

Yes, Autozone does have online diagrams. However, they are not worth a crap.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
thegiecks

Well, since the concensus is that you guys need more info, here goes!
The car is a 4 banger converted to 8, so it still has the 7.6" rearend. No exhaust. Wiring in the car seems to be untouched. I am trying to just get it running smoothly. The motor that is in it now came out of a 92 or 93 gt or cobra, im not sure how to tell the difference, but he said it was one of the 2. Engine compatment is a mess. Dirty and just chambles. This Friday im hoping to get a chance to clean it up and get everything tagged. When i disconnected all of the 4 things connected to the carb'd one( throttle linkage, cruise control, drive shaft and shift linkage) there is some stuff still in there i have no idea what it is. There is a line that leaks brake fluid, but i cant find where it leads to the res. of any ther brake line! I honestly do not know the condition of the 2 harnesses for the motor besides visual inspection. I have owned a 1988 5.0 GT in the past, but i never got into doing anything with it, and I am still kicking myself for trading it in on a truck!
Anyways... All i can tell you is that the harnesses do not look like they have been cut or altered from their original setup. The sockets for the front lights ( i think thats what they are for, they are amber) are still in the socket. I found a diagram at:
veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/
I dont know what type of motor it is ( mass air or speed dens.) and im not sure how to tell the difference. It has the smog pump on it and i want to get rid of that crap. I will probably just switch the heads and pull all that crap. I was told that i might have to put an idler pulley there so the belt will reach, is this true?

I am just in the dark here, and I only get 1 or 2 days a week to work on it, with at the most 4 hours each time and its costing me an arm and a leg to store this car for so long. Plus I have to pay every time i want to work on the damn thing. I guess i am just frustrated. If you guys can think of any other questions to ask me, please let me know, i appreciate the help.

Will

Will
AKA
BEEFY
Old 08-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

I always like to see people willing to learn and I don't want to discourage you from tackling a project yourself, but there a few comments in your above post that make me think that you may have bit off more than you can chew at your current level. If you're having to pay to store it and work on it, you may want to consider just cutting your losses and selling what you have... or at least find a different place that you can store it so that you can work on it at your own pace for free.
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
thegiecks

i could not agree with you more, and i have conteplated this issue a hundred times and a thousand times again. It just that, when i was 18, i had that 88gt, and that car was the best car i had ever had, and now that i have this one again, it would almost feel like losing the same car and the chance to drive a car like a true Stang again! My wife said i could either have a bike or a stang, and i went for the car. I would... WILL have more fun in this thing than a bike could ever give me, and its safer too! Its not a bad deal i think. A straight body w/ full clean interior and good glass, 1 complete EFI 302 motor, 1 not so complete carb'd 302 motor, and a 351 windsor longblock for $1K.
As far as the storing it for cheaper, MAN! I have asked all around.. nobody seems to have free space. If you know anyone in my neck of the woods! drop me a line anyone!!!

Will
AKA
BEEFY