StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
BIGDATOWN

Need some help here!

Alright I have a 95 mustang gt. I installed a c&l 76mm full cold air kit and a bbk 70mm tb and adjustable FPR. As soon as I installed the c&l I have been fighting lean issues. I am getting detonation because of it. I am running stock timing of 10 degrees with 87 octane. Tps is set right. No vacuum leaks anywhere!

I tried to run it at stock fuel pressure and it felt weak with detonation. I uped the fuel pressure 3 psi and it got extremly stronger but the detonation is still there. So I tried 93 this morning. Car is slower and detonation has not changed. I replaced the distributor and harmonic balancer last night with new cap and rotor also.

Ask me question after question and maybe there is something I am missing that is causing this extreme lean condition. I can always just keep upping the fuel pressure but I would rather not do it that way personally. I could also probably have a tune done but I feel it would just be bandaiding the problem as I have tuned this car before and it ended up being a vacuum leak causing me grief!
BIGDATOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
93cobra1928
Dazed and Confused

Does it have the right sample tube in the MAF? Is there a turn directly before the MAF causing turbulence? Are you sure the meter is good?
Proud owner of 93 Cobra #1928
306ci Forged flat tops, Windsor Sr iron heads, FMS X-303 cam, OE Cobra upper and lower, 65mm tb, 70mm maf, 24lb injectors, BBK shorties, Summit H-pipe and Flo-bastards
93cobra1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
BIGDATOWN

Correct sample tube...NO elbow....And yes I am. I swapped my maf into another car that runs prefectly fine and it never changed in that car.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
BIGDATOWN

I also didnt put this in the first post bu tmy alternator is going out and over charging by almost so much to keep the battery light on. it will flicker on and off from time to time. According to a couple tuners, that puts me in a different table in the ecu and can cause what issues i'm having right now. It will be getting replaced tonight with a lifetime warranty replacement.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
banditmwp
Welcome to America!

Send a message via AIM to banditmwp Send a message via Yahoo to banditmwp
I know of four or five guys that will never use a C&L Product again due to driveability issues.

91 GT Convertible

2006 Nissan Titan LE Crew Cab
2014 Peterbilt 337/Marion 22' box
banditmwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditmwp View Post
I know of four or five guys that will never use a C&L Product again due to driveability issues.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
BIGDATOWN

Well I have done alot of work in the last 24 hrs. I replaced my alternator, switched my FPR from the aeromotive to a bbk. Put my old msd cap and rotor back on the new distributor and the noise through the radio went away but detonation never changed. I switched back to my stock distributor and 90% of the detonation went away. I basically only have detonation between 3-4k in 3rd gear only but the roads are also wet and the air is cold outside.

I have the fuel pressure set at 40PSI at idle with the vacuum ON. Seems to still be a little on the lean side but I honestly now feel that the car is close enough that a dyno tune will get all the last little bugs out of it.

Now if I can just get james to text me back. We will discuss a tune!