PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Induction

QWKSNKE
09-14-2005, 05:43 PM
are there any real world power #'s on the AFM power pipes on stock 4 valves. (or any other brand CAI for that matter)

TheJeanyus
09-14-2005, 07:08 PM
I've heard good things about the JLT True Cold Air Intake (https://www32.ssldomain.com/jlttruecoldair/products.php?make=Ford&model=Mustang%20SVT%20Cobra&year=1999-2001) systems. I really like my Densecharger, too. I could tell a big difference, but of course a SC car will respond better to a CAI than a NA car.

QWKSNKE
09-14-2005, 07:17 PM
yeah but the JLT systems look like ass from the pics I have seen. Looks like parts that came from the plumbing section at Lowe's

joker
09-14-2005, 09:51 PM
all of jlt's cai's look like pure crap. I think it is a rip off for what they charge. Seriously, go to lowes and build your own. They are suppose to net good numbers on supercoupes, but then again like Joesph said sc'd vehicles repsond much better to intake mods. Heck I picked up two posunds of boost with a drop in filter.

uvbnhad
09-14-2005, 11:10 PM
I was reading the some reviews on the straight shot and they are boasting a 17rwhp increase on GTs but I don't know how much of that is true. Everything I've seen puts the Straight Shot at the top of the list.

jlt = colored pvc pipe. Garbage is a more fitting term.

ChipR4cam
09-15-2005, 07:31 AM
JLT may be the worst looking, and just "PVC pipe" but from what I've seen they work better than anything else on n/a 4v's.

93Cobra#2771
09-15-2005, 07:36 AM
I know he makes some pretty outrageous power gain claims on 5.0 versions of the JLT - he got called on it and got a little ticked off about it.

The JLT stuff is painted PVC - touch it with a screwdriver or other tool = big nasty gash.

mj_8
09-15-2005, 08:47 AM
I just got the JLT high boost kit with the 12" filter. Some of the parts do look like they could be from Lowe's but I don't mind. I just want to hit 550 at the wheels, in the end isn't that all that matters anyway, more hp that is?

Anyone wanna buy my MAC CAI? It's chrome not painted PVC.

TheJeanyus
09-15-2005, 01:25 PM
JLT may be the worst looking, and just "PVC pipe" but from what I've seen they work better than anything else on n/a 4v's.
:stupid: You asked what made more power, not what looked best. Mine looks like black PVC, too, but I picked up a pound and a half of boost and I've seen dyno graphs proving they're worth 25 rwhp on a '03/'04 Cobra, which is consistent with my dyno graph.

93Cobra#2771
09-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Is it the bigger piping giving the increase in boost, or simply the elimination of the stock airbox giving the increase?

TheJeanyus
09-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Is it the bigger piping giving the increase in boost, or simply the elimination of the stock airbox giving the increase?
Elimination of stock air box and placing the filter in the fender well instead of the engine compartment.

mj_8
09-15-2005, 02:42 PM
i think the bigger piping has something to do with it. I mean more air coming in means more power if you have the fuel to couple with it right?

QWKSNKE
09-15-2005, 02:45 PM
i think the bigger piping has something to do with it. I mean more air coming in means more power if you have the fuel to couple with it right?

yeah on a blower car if your piping size is a restriction (stock for instance) then increasing the size will make more power

93Cobra#2771
09-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Elimination of stock air box and placing the filter in the fender well instead of the engine compartment.

That's what I was getting at. Metal or plastic, it doesn't make any difference in power. On stock 03/04 cars, the airbox itself is probably most of the restriction. Modded cars, the stock inlet tubing/MAF is prob the restriction.

Now before everyone reams me on the metal conducting all the heat, etc, consider this - I have datalogs showing before and after my AFM powerpipe vs my March Ram Air kit I had on my previous car. Specifically, IAC datalogs. No difference in IAC temps on stock plastic vs. the metal pipe.

Theories abound as to why the temp change is the same, but most think it is due to air flowing through the pipe SO fast that it doesn't have time to transfer the heat energy from the pipe.

Anyhow, that's my .02 cents worth. I say go for the bling. :D

QWKSNKE
09-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Theories abound as to why the temp change is the same, but most think it is due to air flowing through the pipe SO fast that it doesn't have time to transfer the heat energy from the pipe.

I believe that.

93Cobra#2771
09-15-2005, 02:49 PM
yeah on a blower car if your piping size is a restriction (stock for instance) then increasing the size will make more power

Yep. It HAS to be a restriction before it will make more power (or more boost). Then, there is a point where more airflow will not increase the power output due to a restriction elsewhere, whether it be heads/exhaust/efficiency of the blower...

Italian LX
09-15-2005, 03:13 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that any temperature difference would be quickly equalized by the 3' of hot intake manifold that it has to run through before it gets to the ACT sensor.

86GT
09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Now before everyone reams me on the metal conducting all the heat, etc, consider this - I have datalogs showing before and after my AFM powerpipe vs my March Ram Air kit I had on my previous car. Specifically, IAC datalogs. No difference in IAC temps on stock plastic vs. the metal pipe.

Anyhow, that's my .02 cents worth. I say go for the bling. :D

My two cents is that there is a differece in the metal and plastic at an idle. I have a few datalogs from my stock setup on an 86 mustang all the way down to the stock air box. I also compared them to my setup that had a MAC fender metal cold air system.

The result was that at an idle the ACT was higher on the MAC system, but when cruising the ACT was a little less on the MAC. I then used the stock tubing to goto the MAC fender and saw that the idle temp was back to stock and the cruise temp was also down slightly more than the complete MAC system.

This was all done on a fox body.

QWKSNKE
09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that any temperature difference would be quickly equalized by the 3' of hot intake manifold that it has to run through before it gets to the ACT sensor.

That only applies to foxes. Pretty sure all sn95's have the ACT in the CAI pipe

Italian LX
09-15-2005, 04:06 PM
That only applies to foxes. Pretty sure all sn95's have the ACT in the CAI pipe
I know... but my reply was to Richard who's test was based off of a fox-body. :P

01svtbra
09-19-2005, 10:12 PM
I have the JLT RAI on my 01 cobra. I dynoed it before and after. I picked up 14 hp and 11 ft/lbs of torque.

93Cobra#2771
09-20-2005, 06:41 AM
What did you have before? Stock airbox?

QWKSNKE
09-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I have the JLT RAI on my 01 cobra. I dynoed it before and after. I picked up 14 hp and 11 ft/lbs of torque.

:hmm:

01svtbra
09-20-2005, 05:21 PM
What did you have before? Stock airbox?

I had a k&n drop in. I have a friend that has the same intake. His #'s were almost identical.

banditmwp
09-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Who are you? :shrug:

:jester:

Wicked
09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
yeah but the JLT systems look like ass from the pics I have seen. Looks like parts that came from the plumbing section at Lowe's

I resent that remark. :jester:

joker
09-20-2005, 10:50 PM
I resent that remark. :jester:
Nothing wrong with building an intake from Lowes, after all fabricaton and creativity is what drives our hobby. However, charging $160 for $10 worth of parts kind of stinks.

ChipR4cam
09-21-2005, 07:19 AM
The JLT fender CAI has a bend that you aren't gonna find at lowes. The RAI is pretty much just a short strait piece of pvc. But you would still have to buy the maf adapter, the bend into the intake, and the clamps. The RAI is the only one you could do yourself, but it would still be a hassle.