StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
CrimsonRacing
Comfortably NUMB

Superchargers

Ok..............here we go......

All you Mechanical geniuses put your minds on this........

I am looking to possibly come into a bit of money and am considering a top mount blower for my car.

Either an Eaton or a Kenne Bell...........

Tell me about:Costs,reliability,durability,power gain,modifications to upper end and engine in general(if any).

I wanna hear everyones opinion whether positive or negative,with explaniations of each choice,please......

Gotta find some damn power for this car and I am not gonna give up.....

Old 12-29-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
joker
Friends

Re: Superchargers

First thing I would do is put it on a dyno, and see how much power you ahve as it is.

As far as superchargers, the top mount blowers tend to come on faster at the bottom end but dont make as much up top, as opposed the centrifugal (sp?) chargers which typically make most of thier power on the top end, at least that is the way I understand it. Unless you can find one used, you will most likely come out with a cheaper hp/$ ratio going with a centrifugal charger as oppsed to a roots style. The KB kits for our car run $2999 on kb's site. From my understanding, the KB kit will give you roughly 85 to 100 more rwhp.

Where as you can pick up good vortech kits for less than that, and I have seen used kits go for as low as $700. Paul sold his a trim for $700. If you can find a good a trim, vortech will upgrade it to a 9 psi s trim for $700. So if you find a good enough deal, you could walk away with a brand new strim, with all the brackets, and goodies for less than 2k.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

How many miles are on your short block and what is it's condition (does the car smoke under accelerations, etc.)?

The reason I ask is that you want to be carful when putting any power adder on an aged motor. Any slight issues you may have now will be amplified after the blower is installed. At that point, you may have expended so much money on the blower that you won't have enough to fix a problem on the bottom end.

FWIW, I would consider the price of a shortblock rebuild and freshening up the heads in with your expected cost of the supercharger.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
slvrbullit
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
How many miles are on your short block and what is it's condition (does the car smoke under accelerations, etc.)?

The reason I ask is that you want to be carful when putting any power adder on an aged motor. Any slight issues you may have now will be amplified after the blower is installed. At that point, you may have expended so much money on the blower that you won't have enough to fix a problem on the bottom end.

FWIW, I would consider the price of a shortblock rebuild and freshening up the heads in with your expected cost of the supercharger.

I think his motor is pretty fresh.

As for the power adder on the aged motor...............wanna put a dry kit on your car for the hell of it and see what it will do?

2000 Ford F-350 Dually Lariat LE Crew Cab Short Box
7.3 auto 168,000 miles
slvrbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:33 PM   #5
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I don't think Eaton makes a supercharger for our cars.

In a manual trans car I think i would prefer the centrifugal blower setup over a roots style (such as the Kenne Bell) Might be a pain in the ass to drive a roots style blower on a 5-speed.

Besides centrifugals make good low end power. Mine is hitting 400 rwhp around 3000 rpm
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
CrimsonRacing
Comfortably NUMB

Brian............I'd say my motor has about 40K-50K miles since April of 2002.Shankenstein built it back then.

I have never noticed anything more than a tiny bit of smoke when cranking but I do use just a bit of oil.

How much would I be looking for a freshening up of the engine and heads?(they are P&P windsor Jr.s)

Old 12-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
svopaul

Send a message via AIM to svopaul

Richard, as we discussed before....FIRST let's find out what you have...means dyno time. Optimize and tune what you have now before throwing a power adder at it. You also have to consider your cam and if it will work with a blower. I would go with a Vortech/Procharger before going with a KB on yours....mine made great power 413/496 with nothing exotic...P heads, stock bottom end, Intake and blower cam and that was at 10 degrees of timing!

But again, you FIRST must look at what you currently have and find out why you aren't running the times you should be....otherwise you will still have your original problem only compounded by the addition of a power adder

Also, just a side note...there are deals out there...right now there is a Lincoln Mark VII in Maryland with a Kenne Bell blower on it...running driving car for $2,000!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I agree with Paul.

You may also want to get rid of that 4cyl t-5 in favor a 5-speed that has more suited gearing for a v-8
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
RTGreen

Send a message via AIM to RTGreen

Hmmmm...this gives me an idea! Use both...force feed your KB with a Novi

N/M...I'm smoking crack
1995 Bronco: 302, 5spd
2017 4Runner: TRD(Turd), Stock
RTGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #10
svopaul

Send a message via AIM to svopaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
I agree with Paul.

You may also want to get rid of that 4cyl t-5 in favor a 5-speed that has more suited gearing for a v-8
He's already got a V8 T-5.....the other one gave up the ghost and he got my spare