StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
jwillburn119

Send a message via Yahoo to jwillburn119
I Want A New Intake... but which one

i am looking VERY hard at that new BBK 5002 SSI intake... promises are huge on it, and its an all in one package... anyone got one.. or know sombody? i am putting on an intake... but i want some feedback on whats hot, new and not!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Re: I Want A New Intake... but which one

depending on what heads and cam you have, throw one of the trickflow intakes on it.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

just about any of the aftermarkets work. I love the Cobra. It's cheap too.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
joker
Friends

I have hard good things about the systemmax intakes as well. Like Lee said, the trickflows make good number also. Main thing to make sure of is that the intake matches well with your heads and cam or you will never get the most out of it.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

My vote is for the Trickflow.

I had GT40 irons and an E-cam and gained 33rwhp from a Track Heat intake and 70mm TB.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
jwillburn119

i have stock heads, and just a mild cam... so... i guess im looking for an all around... the thing i like about the SSI is that is it without a doubt the best LOOKING one on the market... but that doesnt mean i will get the performance... but i dont want to just throw something on there that is used and heresay is all i have as to what has been done to it... i want proven power... and i want it flexible... i dont quite see how the intake itself would matter with the cam and heads... as long as it will flow more than the heads (i understand vacuum) suck... it should do its job huh? and as far as fuel goes... thats computer controlled... thats what i understand... so feel free to enlighten me... money isnt really important... but i am kind of hesitant to go with trickflow... because i have heard of bad experiences... but you get that with everything... what about the intakes with just a lower and an elbow to the throttle body... they seem like they would flow REALLY well... too well?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Italian LX
Daddy x4 ...we're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillburn119
... i dont quite see how the intake itself would matter with the cam and heads... as long as it will flow more than the heads...
EFI intakes with runners are tuned to a certain RPM range. The longer the runners, the lower the peak torque numbers will be. Without going into major detail, it is caused by the harmonics of the air bouncing back from the closed valves and forcing a rush of air into the cylinders when the valve opens back up at certain RPM ranges (depending on the runner length and area).

Quote:
... but i am kind of hesitant to go with trickflow... because i have heard of bad experiences... but you get that with everything...

I have NEVER heard of anything bad about Trickflow -- please enlighten me on what exactly you have heard.

Quote:
... what about the intakes with just a lower and an elbow to the throttle body... they seem like they would flow REALLY well... too well?
They are good for forced induction cars due to the increase flow characteristics; however, it will kill the bottom end on an N/A car. See my abvove comment about tuned-runner intakes.

'86 Mustang GT Convertible
'88 Mustang LX coupe
'11 Odyssey TE
'21 Insight Touring
Italian LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
TheJeanyus
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian LX
EFI intakes with runners are tuned to a certain RPM range. The longer the runners, the lower the peak torque numbers will be. Without going into major detail, it is caused by the harmonics of the air bouncing back from the closed valves and forcing a rush of air into the cylinders when the valve opens back up at certain RPM ranges (depending on the runner length and area).

I have NEVER heard of anything bad about Trickflow -- please enlighten me on what exactly you have heard.

They are good for forced induction cars due to the increase flow characteristics; however, it will kill the bottom end on an N/A car. See my abvove comment about tuned-runner intakes.
There is a lot more to an intake than just maximum flow. Runner length is very important. MM&FF did a little write up once testing a centrifugal blower kit for '03/'04 Cobras, and it made significantly more low end torque with a '99/'01 upper intake than it did with the sheet metal upper intake supplied with the kit due to the difference in runner length.
TheJeanyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Isn't this the intake slvrbullit tried to use earlier this year and it wouldn't clear his hood or something like that.

oh yeah

on everything Italian LX said
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
jwillburn119

i was expecting clearance issues... i guess the runner length would make sense because air tumble as opposed to straight volume huh? so i need to get something that makes good flow in normal RPM ranges... but keeps tumble to a max, as smoothly as possible...